Pizza casserole and Barbecue Cheeseburger Casserole are two of the best and most versatile casserole recipes that I have ever made. Both are easy to prepare, kids love it and it can be on the table in just 30 minutes!
My first attempt at pizza casserole came out of necessity. I had planned to make baked ziti but I didn’t have any pasta sauce.
I rummaged through the pantry and found a lonely jar of pizza sauce.
My next thought was what in the world could compliment the pizza sauce? Yes, you guessed it, pepperoni!
I gathered the sauce and pepperoni and mixed them together with the browned hamburger and cooked noodles. I added the cheese and threw it in the oven.
That’s when the magic happened!
The familiar taste of pizza was on our plates and there were no leftovers!
Make Pizza Casserole Your Way…..
Since that time, I have adapted my recipe to make pizza casserole the way my family enjoys pizza. I use both hamburger and sausage to increase the flavor intensity.
My family prefers spicy sausage, but you could use mild or a full pound of hamburger.
I add peppers and onions when I am serving the entire family and add mushroom when it will be eaten by those who like them.
I have even gone so far to split the pizza casserole in two baking pans to customize each dish!
This recipe can easily be adapted to include your favorite pizza toppings. You can add mushrooms, banana peppers, or anything else that you like.
If you are vegetarian you can omit the meat and add additional toppings. This casserole can also be adapted for those eating with a vegan lifestyle by using a cheese and milk substitute.
Check out the recipe below and let me know what you think!
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list.
- 2 cups rotini noodles, cooked al dente
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound of sausage, mild or hot
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup sliced pepperoni
- 16 ounces pizza sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef and sausage along with the onion, garlic and green bell peppers.
- Drain excess fat.
- Stir in the noodles, pepperoni, pizza sauce, Italian seasoning, milk and ½ cup of the cheese. Mix well.
- Pour into an 8 x 11 (2 quart) casserole dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes, top with the remaining cheese and bake for an additional 5 to 10 more minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Makes a terrific leftover meal! Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 386Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 866mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 22g
Nutritional Information is to be used as a general guideline only . Nutritional calculations will vary from the types and brands of the products used.