Instant Pot Pizza Casserole is one of our favorite weeknight meals. In fact, I think I love it even more than Tater Tot Casserole.
It is extremely easy to make and the entire family loves it! In fact, even the pickiest eater who does not like pizza crust asks for seconds every time!
But what I love most about this recipe is that it can be on the table in less than 30 minutes! And even quicker if you brown your meat prior to making this recipe.
Plus, you can customize the ingredients to whatever pizza toppings that you and your family enjoy.
Instant Pot Pizza Casserole Base
Just like our oven baked pizza casserole recipe, the base begins with meat and pasta.
Our family prefers to taste of Italian Sausage. However, you can also use hamburger, ground turkey or even ground chicken instead.
And as for the noodles, we always use Rotini noodles. First of all, they cook up perfectly.
But more importantly, the spirals of the noodles allow the pizza sauce, cheese and toppings to sit in grooves. Therefore, you get all the flavors of the pizza casserole in every bite!
However, if you don’t have Rotini noodles, you can still make this recipe. Just adjust the cooking time based on the instructions listed on the back of the box.
You will want to set your Instant Pot cook time to half the amount of cook time listed. And if there is a range for the cook time, use the lower number.
For instance, if the box says to boil the noodles for 8-10 minutes. The Instant Pot cook time will be 4 minutes.
Layer The Pizza Casserole Ingredients
Once you have your meat sauteed, add the spices and stir. This is the time to also add in green pepper or mushrooms if you are using them.
But the most important part of this recipe is that you must layer the remaining ingredients.
Just like when making Instant Pot Spaghetti, you do not want to stir your noodles or pasta sauce before cooking.
By doing so you risk the chance that your Instant Pot will give you a BURN notice while the Pizza Casserole is cooking.
This is because both the noodles and the tomato based pizza sauce can easily stick to the bottom of the pan.
Instead, just place the noodles evenly over the meat mixture. Then pour the sauce so that they cover the noodles.
The only time that you will stir noodles and sauce will be after the cooking process has been completed.
Adding The Cheese, Pepperoni, and Other Toppings
When the cook time is up, slowly release the pressure by moving the valve to the venting position.
Then remove the lid and stir in half of the cheese and all but 9 pieces of pepperoni (these will be saved for the topping).
Now is also the time to stir in any remaining cold toppings: olives, cooked bacon bits, pineapples, etc.
Once the pizza casserole ingredients have been mixed in, add the remaining cheese and pepperoni to the top.
Then close the lid for a few minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
It is that simple! Now this Instant Pot Pizza Casserole can be added to your weeknight menu!
Check out the printable recipe below and let me know what you think!
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located on the side and bottom of each recipe. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 1 lb Italian Sausage
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 4 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth, or water
- 16 oz Rotini pasta
- 24 oz jar pizza sauce
- 8 oz Mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- 20-30 pepperoni slices, divided
Optional Heated Add Ins
- 1 green or red pepper, diced
- ½ cup mushrooms sliced
Optional Cold Ingredient Add-Ins
- ½ cup Sliced Black Olives
- ½ cup Cooked Bacon Pieces
- Turn on pot to the Sauté setting. Once the display reads HOT, add the sausage and onion and sauté until the sausage is completely cooked.
- Add Italian seasoning, oregano, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper and stir. If you are using green pepper or mushroom, add them here.
- Add the broth and stir, scraping the bottom of the pot to deglaze by removing any browned bits stuck on the bottom of the pan. Cancel the Sauté function.
- Add the pasta evenly over the mixture and DO NOT STIR.
- Pour the pizza sauce over the pasta and to cover it completely and DO NOT STIR.
- Lock the lid in place and move the valve to the Sealing position. Pressure Cook/Manual on HIGH pressure for 4 minutes (half of the boiling time as instructed on the box).
- When finished cooking perform a Quick Release of the pressure by slowly moving the valve to the venting position. Do it slowly to prevent any splattering.
- Carefully open the lid and stir in half of the cheese and all but 9 pieces of pepperoni. Stir in olives or cooked bacon if using.
- Sprinkle the remaining Mozzarella cheese on top and then place the remaining pepperoni on top of the cheese. Close the lid and let the cheese melt.
- Serve immediately.
You can also freeze this casserole by transferring it to a foil pan before placing the Mozzarella and pepperoni on top. Once the casserole is in the foil, then place the remaining cheese and pepperoni on top. Cover and freeze. To reheat the casserole, thaw it out the night before and heat in oven with the top loosely covered with foil at 350°F for 20-30 minutes. Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g