It seems like every restaurant has a Margherita Flatbread Pizza option on their menu right now. And although each one is slightly different from each other, they all have 4 basic ingredients.
Each flatbread will be topped with thin tomato slices, Mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil that has been sliced in thin strips.
As much as I love the traditionally prepared pizza, I prefer to add a little extra flavor to my homemade flatbread pizza.
I start by adding a little fresh pressed garlic directly on the flatbread. And then after the pizza is baked and ready to be served, I drizzle it with a little balsamic vinegar mixture.
And I have to say, the added flavors compliment the traditional pizza perfectly!
Margherita Flatbread Pizza Recipe
Pre-made Flatbread Pizza Crust or Naan Bread
- Although you can make homemade pizza dough, we like to use pre-made flatbread crust or naan bread to make our pizzas when time is of a concern. You can find these packaged items either in the bakery, bread, or pizza aisle at your grocery store.
- Fresh minced garlic is the preferred choice to use in this recipe. It provides a ton of flavor when compared to the bottled minced garlic. However, you can use that if you don’t have any garlic cloves on hand.
- In fact, if you don’t have fresh or jarred garlic, use 1 teaspoon of garlic powder as a substitute.
- And yes, I know traditional Margherita Flatbread Pizza doesn’t include garlic. However, the flavor of the garlic enhances the other flavors perfectly.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- The neutral flavor of the extra virgin olive oil allows the garlic to shine through and flavor the flatbread perfectly.
Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
- You can purchase fresh Mozzarella cheese at most grocery stores. You can find them in a variety of sizes and flavors. Start by purchasing standard, fresh Mozzarella cheese that you typically find in a large or small balls that are placed in liquid or in a log form that is packaged in a tight plastic sealed wrap.
- However if you ever get the chance to purchase Buffalo Mozzarella, please do so! It is a little more expensive but the taste and texture are well worth the cost!
- It is best to use a paste style tomato such as a San Marzano or Roma tomato. The reason is that these type of tomatoes have less liquid in them and hold up better when put on top of a pizza.
- You will be slicing the tomato into very thin slices. Use either a mandolin slicer or a serrated knife to cut the tomato.
Salt & Pepper
- As always use salt and pepper to taste. Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper are preferred in this recipe.
- Although not a standard ingredient in Margherita Flatbread Pizza, balsamic vinegar pairs perfectly with both tomatoes and Mozzarella cheese.
- However, if you don’t like balsamic vinegar simply drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil on top instead.
- In the middle of the summer it is easy to find fresh basil. It is an easy herb to grow and just about every Farmer’s market or stand has fresh basil for sale.
- Although, it is also commonly found in the refrigerated produce section at your grocery store. Look for a small plastic container that holds a handful of basil leaves.
- And no, dried basil should not be used as a substitute in this recipe.
The first step in making this Margherita Flatbread Pizza is to preheat the oven or air fryer. Even if your brand of Air Fryer does not require preheating, it is recommended that you do so for this recipe.
While the oven or air fryer is heating up, add the extra virgin olive oil and minced garlic in a small bowl. Then whisk until well incorporated.
Using a pastry brush, brush the garlic and oil mixture over the top of the flatbread. Then place the crust on an ungreased baking sheet and place in the oven.
Let the dough crisp up for 5 minutes. Then remove the baking sheet from the oven/air fryer.
Next place 4-5 slices (depending on the size) of Mozzarella cheese on top of the flatbread and then place the sliced tomatoes on top.
Add a little salt and pepper to the top of the tomatoes to taste. Then place the pizza back in the oven for another 5 minutes.
Prepare The Garnish
While the Margherita Flatbread Pizza is baking, add the balsamic vinegar to the remaining oil and garlic mixture. Whisk briskly to emuslify the mixture and set aside.
Then take the basil leaves and roll them together. Beginning on the short side, slice the basil into small strips. Then cut into smaller strips for ease of eating. Set aside and wait until the pizza is finished baking.
Once the cheese on the pizza has melted and the tomatoes have softened turn the oven to broil and allow the pizza to lightly brown on top. Be sure to keep a close eye on the pizza during this process.
It should take approximately 2-3 minutes for the cheese and crust to lightly brown, however all ovens cook at various rates.
Once the pizza is done, remove it from the oven. Then mix the balsamic mixture one more time and lightly drizzle it on top of the pizza. You may use as much or as little as you like.
Finally, sprinkle the top with the chopped basil. Slice the flatbread into wedges or rectangles and serve warm.
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located in the middle of each recipe or email me at email@example.com. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 1 pre-made flatbread pizza crust or naan bread
- 3 pieces fresh mozzarella cheese sliced to ⅓- 1/2 inch thickness
- 1 tomato sliced as thin as possible
- 5-6 leaves basil
- 3 cloves garlic pressed; or 1 tsp dry garlic powder
- 1.5 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1.5 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F or Air Fryer Oven to 325°F.
- In a small bowl add 1 1/2 Tablespoons of olive oil. Then mince the garlic cloves into the garlic and whisk well.
- Brush the flatbread with half of the oil and garlic mixture and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Place in preheated oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and place 4-5 slices of Mozzarella cheese on top of the flatbread and then place the sliced tomatoes on top. Add a little salt and pepper to the top of the tomatoes to taste.
- Place the pizza back in the oven for another 5 minutes. Turn the oven to broil and allow the pizza to lightly brown to your preference. This should take approximately 2-3 minutes, however all ovens cook at different rates.
- Meanwhile mix the remaining oil & garlic with 1.5 tbsp balsamic vinegar, stirring until a smooth emulsion forms.
- While the pizza is baking slice 5-6 basil leaves into thin strips and then cut in half. Set aside. Then in a small bowl add the 1 1/2 tablespoons of the balsamic vinegar and while whisking, pour in the remaining oil and garlic mixture. Mix until well blended.
- Once pizza is done, remove from the oven. Mix the balsamic mixture one more time and lightly drizzle it on top of the pizza. You may use as much or as little as you like. Sprinkle the top with the chopped basil.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 715Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 1411mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 4gSugar: 10gProtein: 33g
Nutritional Information is to be used as a general guideline only . Nutritional calculations will vary from the types and brands of the products used.