Grilled Banana Split Boats are a take on the classic recipe of campfire banana boats that many of us experienced in our childhood days.
The traditional recipe included bananas that were cut down the center, with the peel still on, and stuffed with mini marshmallows and chocolate chips. They were then wrapped in foil and cooked over the coals of a campfire.
Once the bananas were soft and the marshmallows and chocolate were melted, you opened the pouch and used a fork to eat the rustic dessert.
This recipe uses the same concept, but uses a grill instead of a campfire. And once cooked the bananas are topped with classic banana split toppings.
Grilled Banana Split Boats Recipe
- Bananas – Use ripe, but firm bananas for this recipe. Overripe bananas are already somewhat soft and will become too mushy when grilled.
- Mini marshmallows – You will not need a full bag of mini marshmallows. So save the rest of the bag to make our Easy S’mores Rice Krispies Bars.
- Chocolate chips or Mini chocolate bars – It is best to use milk chocolate chips. However, if you have a bag of opened semi-sweet chocolate chips, those will work too. However, I had neither on hand, so I used mini Hershey bars and cut them into sections when I made this recipe the last time.
- Neapolitan Ice Cream – The classic flavors of chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice cream. However, you can also use just vanilla ice cream if you prefer.
- Chocolate Syrup – Used for drizzling over top of the ice cream.
- Caramel Sauce – I find that the squeezable varieties work the best for Grilled Banana Splits. Time is of essence before the ice cream starts to melt. Therefore there is no time to scoop and drizzle caramel from a jar.
- Sprinkles – Everything is better with sprinkles! Just ask the kids.
- Chopped Nuts – Traditionally, chopped peanuts are added to the top of a banana split. However, you can leave them off if you prefer, or add chopped cashews, pecans, or walnuts instead.
In order to make Grilled Banana Split Boats preheat a grill over medium heat.
Cut the stem off each banana. Then use a sharp knife to cut down the center of the banana (lengthwise) starting 1/4 inch from the top of the banana to 1/4 inch from the bottom. Be sure that you cut through the top peel and banana, but not through the bottom peel.
Once you have made the cut, slightly push in on both ends to open up the center of the banana. Then divide the marshmallows equally between the 4 bananas, pushing them down as necessary.
Divide the chocolate chips or mini candy bar pieces evenly among the bananas, tucking them between the marshmallows as much as possible.
Spray 4 large sheets of aluminum foil with non-stick cooking spray. Then place one stuffed banana in a piece of foil in the upright position.
Wrap the foil around the banana, leaving a little air space at the top so that the marshmallow and chocolate don’t stick to the foil. Repeat with the remaining bananas.
Place the foil packets on the preheated grill for 5 minutes. Then remove the packets and place on a heat resistant surface.
Carefully unwrap each banana packet. The peels will have turned dark and the marshmallows and chocolate will have melted.
Push on each end of the banana to open up the center of the banana and top with your favorite banana split toppings.
If you prefer, you can also carefully remove the peel and place the softened banana on a plate instead of eating it out of the foil packet. However, this can be a messy process to remove the melted marshmallows and chocolate as well.
Other Easy Dessert Recipes
- Mini No Bake Cheesecakes
- Easy Peanut Butter Fudge
- Fruit Pizza
- Chocolate Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies
- No Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- Pineapple Cherry Dump Cake
- Apple Pie Dump Cake
- Grandma’s Apple Crisp
- Easy S’mores Bars
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located on the side and bottom of each recipe. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 4 Bananas
- 1/2 cup Mini Marshmallows
- 1/4 cup Chocolate Chips or 4 Mini Chocolate Bars
For Serving, Optional
- Neapolitan Ice Cream
- Chocolate Syrup
- Caramel Sauce
- Chopped Nuts
- Preheat a grill over medium heat.
- Cut the stem off each banana. Then use a sharp knife to cut down the center of the banana (lengthwise) starting 1/4 inch from the top of the banana to 1/4 inch from the bottom. Be sure to that you cut through the top peel and banana, but not through the bottom peel.
- Once you have made the cut, slightly push in on both ends to open up the center of the banana. Then divide the marshmallows equally between the 4 bananas, pushing them down as necessary.
- Divide the chocolate chips or mini candy bar pieces evenly among the bananas, tucking them between the marshmallows as much as possible.
- Spray 4 large sheets of aluminum foil with non-stick cooking spray. Then place one stuffed banana in the foil in the upright position. Wrap the foil around the banana, leaving a little air space at the top (so that the marshmallow and chocolate doesn't stick. Repeat.
- Place the foil packets on the grill for 5 minutes.
- Remove the foil packets and carefully unwrap each banana packet.
- Serve immediately or top with your favorite Banana Split Toppings.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 177Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 7mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 4gSugar: 24gProtein: 2g
Nutritional Information is to be used as a general guideline only . Nutritional calculations will vary from the types and brands of the products used.