S’mores Rice Krispies Treats is an upscale version of the classic and iconic dessert recipe from my childhood.
All the flavors of a s’more packed together in an easy to eat, hand-held dessert, without all of the mess of a traditional s’more.
If you aren’t familiar with what a s’more is, let me explain. It is a traditional campfire dessert that consists of a graham cracker sandwich with a roasted marshmallow and a piece of a chocolate bar in the middle.
It is ooey, gooey and oh so delicious! So when I was asked to make dessert for my day camping friends, I knew I had to think of a good s’mores recipe.
I was going to make my Easy S’mores Bars recipe, but it was honestly too hot to turn on my oven. So instead, I decided on this easy to make, no-bake dessert.
S’mores Rice Krispies Treats
Hersey Chocolate Bars
Grease a 9 x 13″ pan and set aside. The pan does not have to be oven safe.
In fact, we often make these S’mores Rice Krispies treats in recyclable aluminum pans. They are great to take to a potluck, party or picnic without the worry of someone returning your dish back to you.
Then pour the Rice Krispies in a large bowl and set aside. Be sure to make it a large enough bowl so that when you stir the ingredients they don’t fall out.
I made that mistake once. It wasn’t pretty!
Now it is time to crush the graham crackers into small bits. You could do this by placing a sleeve of graham crackers into a resealable bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
Although that is good stress relief, I prefer to take the easier route and use my Hamilton Beach Food Processor Duo. This only takes seconds to complete with the push of a button.
Now if I only had someone to do the dishes for me!
Stop crushing the graham crackers when you have a mixture of small bits and finely ground powder.
Then add the crushed graham cracker mix to the bowl with the Rice Krispies cereal and set aside.
Melt the Marshmallows
Now it is time to melt the butter and marshmallows which will act as the glue that holds your S’mores Rice Krispies treats together.
Start by putting the butter and 2/3rds of the marshmallows in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Keep the other marshmallows in the bag as you will need them later.
As the butter and marshmallows begin to melt stir the mixture with a silicone spatula. It is important to use a silicone or non-stick spatula so that the marshmallows don’t stick to the surface while you stir.
As soon as everything melts, which will take about 8 minutes, remove from the heat. Then slowly pour 1/3rd of the melted butter and marshmallow mixture in the bowl with the Rice Krispies and graham crackers.
Fold in the melted marshmallows to coat the dry ingredients. Add another third of the melted marshmallows and continue to stir and fold.
Finally add the remaining marshmallows and continue to coat the dry ingredients by stirring and folding. Once well incorporated let the mixture cool for 10 minutes.
While the mixture is cooling, cut the Hershey bars into small pieces. I use a sharp knife but you could also break them into small pieces with your hands or a food processor.
Add the reserved mini marshmallows and the small bits of Hershey bars to the bowl and stir and fold again until evenly distributed.
Quickly spread mixture in the prepared pan and pack down by pushing the mixture together, especially in the corners of the pan.
Refrigerate for Best Results
Let the S’mores Rice Krispies treats cool completely at room temperature or in the refrigerator. I would highly recommend placing them in the refrigerator if you live in a warm climate or during the summer months.
Once completely cool, cut into squares with a sharp knife. I typically will make 36 squares, but you can make them as big or small as you like.
Store in the refrigerator for best results.
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located on the side and bottom of each recipe. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 7 cups Rice Krispies
- 2 cups crushed graham crackers, approximately 1 sleeve
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 16 oz. mini marshmallows, divided
- 3 Hersey chocolate bars, cut into small pieces
- Grease a 9 x 13" pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the Rice Krispies, set aside.
- Place graham crackers in a food processor and pulse until there is a mixture of small bits and finely ground powder. Add the graham cracker mix to the bowl with the Rice Krispies.
- Melt butter and 2/3rds of the marshmallows in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until melted, approximately 8 minutes.
- Slowly pour the melted butter and marshmallow mixture over the Rice Krispies mixture, stirring as you pour. Coat the dry ingredients by stirring and folding. Once well incorporated let the mixture cool for 10 minutes.
- While the mixture is cooling, cut the Hershey bars into small pieces.
- Add the reserved marshmallows and the small bits of Hershey bars and stir and fold again until evenly distributed. Spread mixture in the prepared pan and pack down by pushing the mixture together, especially in the corners of the pan.
- Let it cool completely at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Cut into 36 squares and serve.
I prefer to store the S'mores Rice Krispies bars in the refrigerator, especially during the warmer months.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 123Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 63mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 0gSugar: 11gProtein: 1g
Nutritional Information is to be used as a general guideline only . Nutritional calculations will vary from the types and brands of the products used.