Creamy broccoli salad is a classic side dish that is typically made and eaten in the summer months.
However, this past week I went to a barbecue restaurant and they offered creamy broccoli salad as a side dish.
It tasted so good that I was determined to recreate the dish at home.
Broccoli salad offers a variety of flavors all in one bite. The crunchy broccoli is coated in a creamy, yet slightly sweet dressing. The addition of red onions provides a burst of tangy flavor while the raisins gives you that sweet punch.
When making this dish it is important to let the dressing soak into the broccoli mixture for at least 2 hours before serving. This will allow the mixture to penetrate the vegetables and soften and meld the flavors together.
And the best part…….
And of course, the absolute best addition to any broccoli salad – BACON! Not only does the bacon provide the broccoli salad with another depth of flavor, it also adds a slight crunch and a hint of salt to dish.
This recipe calls for slightly toasted slivered almonds as an additional crunchy topping. In order to toast the almonds add them to a non-stick skillet placed on medium heat. Continually stir and flip the almonds until you smell the toasted aroma and they are light golden brown.
There is no need to add oil before toasting as the oils from the nuts will provide enough coating. DO NOT leave the almonds unattended as they go from white to heavily toasted within minutes.
You could also substitute chopped cashews or shelled sunflower seeds for the almonds if you prefer.
For best results, add both the bacon and almonds right before serving so they remain crispy don’t become soggy from the dressing.
Check out the recipe below and let me know what you think!
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list.
Creamy Broccoli Salad
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 1/2 cups chopped fresh broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup almond slivers lightly toasted
- 4 slices bacon crisp-cooked and crumbled
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, sugar, and vinegar and set aside.
- In a medium serving bowl add broccoli, red onion, raisins and cheddar cheese.
- Add the dressing mixture to the broccoli mixture and stir well to coat.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Right before serving, stir in almond slivers and bacon.