Ham and Broccoli Rice is a quick and easy meal that we love to serve for dinner on a busy weeknight.
Cheesy rice filled with chunks of ham and broccoli that even the pickiest of eaters love.
And best of all, it is simple and easy to make.
Whenever we have leftover ham from our holiday dinner, I am always searching for ways to use it in recipes.
But sometimes, I need a quick and easy dinner that everyone will love and that will help me use my leftover ham.
That is when I learned to make Ham and Broccoli Rice. And now we also make an Instant Pot Ham and Broccoli Cheesy Rice Casserole as well.
Ham and Broccoli Rice
I was standing in front of my refrigerator, hoping to find inspiration for dinner.
I had not planned anything for dinner that evening and I needed something on the table within a half hour.
There was leftover ham that needed to be used. Of course, that was the obvious choice for a quick meal.
It was already cooked and could be eaten as is. However, we were quite honestly tired of eating plain slices of ham.
So I thought I would make a ham and rice casserole. But I wasn’t sure I had enough time to cook the rice and then bake it in the oven.
Instead, I decided that a stove top casserole would work just as well!
How To Prepare The Rice
So I began by preparing my rice. I always, always, always rinse my rice in a fine mesh colander under cold water before cooking it.
This helps release any excess starches that coat the rice, allowing it to cook to a light and fluffy consistency.
Otherwise you risk your rice becoming a sticky mess.
And whenever possible, cook your rice in chicken (or vegetable) stock. It adds so much more flavor to your rice as compared to cooking it in water.
Adding The Broccoli
In order for your broccoli to be the perfect consistency in this ham and broccoli rice recipe, it is added midway through the cooking process.
If you add it too soon, it would become too soft and mushy. However, you don’t want to bite into hard and crunchy pieces either.
So when and how should you add your broccoli?
After about 6 minutes of the rice simmering on low, we add the broccoli to the pan.
No need to stir it in with the rice. Just place it on top and close the lid.
This will allow the broccoli to steam rather than boil, resulting in the perfect consistency when cooked.
All that is left is to stir in the cheese and ham! And there you have it, ham and broccoli rice stove top casserole on the table in less than 30 minutes!
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located on the side and bottom of each recipe. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain white rice, dry
- 1 cup broccoli florets, small pieces
- 1 ½ cups of chopped ham
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a colander, rinse the rice until the water turns clear.
- In a medium sauce pan add the rice and chicken broth and turn the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer.
- Turn heat down to lowest setting and place a lid on top to maintain a very low simmer for 6 minutes.
- Add broccoli florets on top of the rice and do not stir. Place the lid back on top, turn heat up to keep broth at a light simmer, and cook for 9-10 more minutes until the rice and broccoli are cooked through.
- Turn off heat but keep the pot on the warm burner. Stir in the cheese until melted and then stir in the ham until warmed.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g