Take the classic flavors of a BLT sandwich and turn it into the most amazing potato salad that you have ever had!
Ever since I shared my recipe for BLT pasta salad, I have received several requests for other recipes that include the combination of bacon, lettuce and tomato.
And because picnic season is among us, I thought it would be the perfect time to share one of our favorite potato salad recipes.
Although, at first I have to admit that I was hesitant to add lettuce to potato salad. But the flavors blend perfectly together and it wouldn’t be a true BLT without the lettuce!
So the next time you are asked to make a side dish for a picnic, party, or potluck, be sure to make this recipe! I guarantee there will be no leftovers!
BLT Potato Salad Recipe
Ground black pepper
The first step in making this BLT Potato Salad is to prepare the potatoes. Scrub the potatoes to remove any dirt. Then cut them in large, bite size pieces.
For standard size red potatoes, cut them in half, and then cut each half two more times. This will leave you with 8 sections per potato.
However, if the potatoes are a little smaller, you can quarter them instead. The objective here is to cut the potatoes in manageable sizes for easy eating later.
Once all of the potatoes are cut place them in a large pot. Then add 1 tablespoon of salt and cover them completely with water.
Turn the burner to high heat and bring the water to a boil. Then reduce the heat to medium to maintain a steady simmer.
Continue to cook until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, which will take approximately 15-20 minutes. Pour the potatoes in a colander and drain.
Let the potatoes remain in the colander to cool completely before assembling the BLT potato salad.
While you are waiting for the potatoes to cool, cut the bacon into small pieces. You can do this with scissors or with a sharp knife.
Then place the bacon pieces in a large frying pan over medium heat and cook until the bacon is crisp. Once the fat has rendered and the bacon is crisp, use a slotted spoon or spider strainer to remove the bacon pieces to a paper towel lined plate.
Then remove 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease and put into a large serving bowl. Let the grease cool slightly.
You can discard the remaining grease, or pour it in a mason jar and store it in the refrigerator for use in other recipes.
Once the grease has cooled a little, but not yet become solid, add the mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt to the bowl with the bacon grease.
Whisk the BLT Potato Salad dressing together until well incorporated.
Now it is time to slice the cherry tomatoes in half and slice the green onions. Be sure to use both the whites and greens of the onions.
After the tomatoes and green onions are cut add them to the bowl. Then add the potatoes and ½ cup of the cooked bacon pieces to the mixture.
Carefully toss and fold the ingredients together until everything is evenly coated.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, but ideally for several hours to allow the flavors to meld together.
Just before serving, remove the bowl from the refrigerator and add the chopped lettuce. Then toss until the lettuce is coated with the dressing.
Now all that is left to do to finish your BLT potato salad is to sprinkle the remaining bacon on top!
Other Popular Summertime Side Dishes
- Instant Pot Amish Potato Salad
- BLT Pasta Salad
- Dill Pickle Potato Salad
- Broccoli Salad
- Wild Rice Salad
- All American Fruit Salad
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located in the middle of each recipe or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 2½ pounds red potatoes
- 1 Tbsp Kosher salt
- 7 slices of thick-cut bacon strips
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 6 cups coarsely chopped romaine lettuce
- Cut the potatoes in large, bite size pieces. Place the potatoes and 1 tablespoon of the salt in a large pot and cover with water. Over high heat bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Continue to cook until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, approximately 15-20 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool completely.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces. Then place the bacon pieces in a large frying pan over medium heat and cook until the bacon is crisp. Use a slotted spoon or spider strainer to remove the bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Remove 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease and put into a large serving bowl. Let the grease cool slightly.
- Add the mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, pepper, ½ teaspoon salt, to the bowl with the bacon grease and whisk together. Add the potatoes, ½ cup of the cooked bacon, tomatoes, and green onions, and toss to coat.
- Just before serving, add the lettuce and toss. Sprinkle the remaining bacon on top.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals