Chicken Pot Pie Casserole is a delicious family meal that provides you with all the flavors of the classic comfort food dish without all the work.
An easy to make, creamy chicken and vegetable filling is topped and baked with crescent roll dough instead of a homemade crust.
Best of all, it takes little time to prepare when you use leftover rotisserie chicken!
It is an easy way to get dinner on the table but still enjoy the taste of this iconic dish.
Chicken Pot Pie Casserole Recipe
- Frozen Peas
- Cooked chicken, shredded or diced
- All-purpose flour
- Chicken broth
- Dried thyme
- Dried parsley
- Garlic powder
- Poultry seasoning
- Heavy cream
- Tube of crescent roll dough
The first step in making a chicken pot pie casserole is to preheat the oven and prepare a casserole dish. Because the crust topping is made from a tube of crescent roll dough you need a pan that the dough can easily cover.
I prefer to use an 11 x 7 inch baking pan because I have to do little to prepare the crescent roll dough. However, you could also use a 9 inch deep dish pie plate as well.
Spray the baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. Then dice the onion, celery and carrots into small pieces and set aside.
Prepare The Chicken
Now you have to decide what type of chicken to use for this pot pie casserole. This is a great time to use the meat from a cooked rotisserie chicken.
Most large grocery stores will have a display of cooked rotisserie chicken near the butcher or deli counter. Simply purchase one and shred it when you get home.
However, you could also easily make shredded chicken from boneless, skinless chicken breasts using my Instant Pot Shredded Chicken recipe. Although, you could also use canned chicken if you prefer.
Measure the shredded chicken and dice into small bite size pieces. Then set the chicken aside while you prepare the filling.
Make The Filling
Start by adding butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Once the butter melts, add the onion, celery, carrots, and frozen peas to the skillet.
Saute the vegetables for 5-7 minutes, or until the onions become translucent and the carrots become nice and tender.
Then add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until the garlic becomes fragrant. Next, add the chicken and stir.
Then sprinkle the flour over the top of the chicken and vegetables and stir until the flour evenly coats the mixture. The flour will help the chicken pot pie filling thicken as it cooks. Cook for 1 more minute, then pour the chicken broth into the pan.
Continue to cook and stir constantly until the mixture starts to thicken, which will take approximately 2-3 minutes. Then add the thyme, parsley, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper and stir.
Once the seasonings have been evenly incorporated slowly pour in the heavy cream and cook until the mixture becomes thickened. Then pour the filling into the prepared baking pan.
Add The Crescent Roll Crust
Remove the crescent roll dough from the refrigerator. Open the tube, keeping the dough in rectangular sections. Then place the dough over the top of the filling, pressing the edges onto the top and sides of the casserole dish.
There is no need to tightly seal the perforations, as the holes will allow the casserole to vent during the baking process.
Place the chicken pot pie casserole in the preheated oven and bake for 12-15 minutes. You want the crescent roll dough to become golden brown and cooked through.
Then carefully remove the baking pan from the oven and let it sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Other Classic Comfort Food Recipes
If you like old-fashioned, comfort food meals like Chicken Pot Pie, be sure to check out some of my other favorite recipes.
- One Pound Meatloaf
- Meatloaf Muffins For Two
- Chicken and Dumplings
- Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast and Vegetables
- Crock Pot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- Air Fryer Meatloaf
- Oven Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
- Instant Pot Beef Vegetable Soup
- Instant Pot Beef Burgundy
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located on the side and bottom of each recipe. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup peas, frozen
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or diced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 (8 oz) tube of crescent rolls
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Spray an 11x7 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the butter. Once melted add the onion, celery, carrots, and peas, and saute for 5-7 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken and mix.
- Sprinkle the flour over the top of the chicken and vegetables and stir until the flour coats the mixture. Cook for 1 more minute, then pour the chicken broth to the pan. Continue to cook and stir constantly until the mixture starts to thicken, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add the thyme, parsley, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper and stir.
- Slowly pour in the heavy cream and cook until thick, approximately 2-3 minutes. Pour the filling into the prepared baking pan.
- Remove the crescent roll dough from the refrigerator. Open the tube, keeping the dough in rectangle sections. Place the dough over the top of the filling, There is no need to seal the perforations, as this will allow the casserole to vent. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until crescent roll dough is golden brown.
- Remove it from the oven and let it sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 533mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 11g
Nutritional Information is to be used as a general guideline only . Nutritional calculations will vary from the types and brands of the products used.