Sometimes you just need a warm and comforting meal like this Instant Pot Beef Burgundy recipe.
A hearty meal of fall apart, tender pieces of seasoned chuck roast and vegetables cooked in a rich and flavorful broth.
The type of meal that can warm your bones on a cold winter day.
However, typically, Beef Burgundy takes a long time to cook and sometimes, the craving hits you when you don’t have extra time to spare.
That is exactly what happened to me. I was craving a good comfort meal this past week and knew that I would have to use my Instant Pot because I was short on time.
I thought about making Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings, but I was honestly tired of eating chicken.
We have been eating a lot of chicken lately, so I really wanted to make something with beef. Plus, I had a 2 pound chuck roast in the refrigerator, begging to be used.
So I decided that I would try my traditional Beef Burgundy recipe in the Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Beef Burgundy
And it was an easy transition. Unlike some recipes that require the addition of liquid when converted to cooking it in the Instant Pot, this recipe was perfect.
However, because there are various methods to making Beef Burgundy, there are a few tips that you should follow.
First, start out by tossing your beef cubes in flour. No, you aren’t breading it. The extra flour will help brown your beef and provide a natural thickener when cooked in the Instant Pot.
Next, be sure to deglaze the bottom of your pot before pressure cooking. Any stuck brown bits can easily be removed when you add the liquid by using a wooden spatula to scrape the bottom.
We use a dry red wine such as Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon in this recipe. Because we continue to saute the liquid, the alcohol content is removed and you are left with a flavorful sauce.
However, if for medical or personal reasons that you avoid wine, then simply replace it with beef broth.
Just be sure to choose a good beef broth when making Beef Burgundy in your Instant Pot. It will definitely make a difference in the final product.
Although it depends on what recipe you follow, traditional Beef Burgundy is made with carrots, onions, and mushrooms.
Some people use pearl onions instead of sliced onions. And those who aren’t mushroom fans, simply omit them.
I have seen baby potatoes added to some recipes as well.
Here is my take on that. Make it however you like! We typically don’t have pearl onions in our pantry so we use a yellow or white onion instead.
The choice is really up to you. And don’t be afraid to experiment with the recipe. Regardless, the process and cooking time for making Beef Burgundy in your Instant Pot will remain the same.
And there is one final choice to make. How are you going to serve your Beef Burgundy?
Most people serve it over cooked, wide egg noodles. And I often see it served with mashed potatoes.
Both are wonderful choices! But let’s think outside of the box and suggest that you can serve it also over rice, cauliflower rice, zucchini noodles, or spaghetti squash.
Again, the choice is up to you! However you serve it, we know that you and your family will love this Instant Pot Beef Burgundy recipe!
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located in the middle of each recipe or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup beef broth, low sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-4 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- Place the beef cubes in a large resealable plastic bag. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle the flour in the bag. Toss to coat all sides of the beef.
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant Pot. When the display reads HOT add the olive oil. Remove the beef from the bag and shake off any excess flour. In a single layer, brown the beef cubes on all sides. Repeat until all beef is browned.
- Remove the beef from the pot and set aside. Add the onion to the instant pot and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes, adding additional olive oil if necessary.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan to remove any brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes until the liquid is reduced.
- Press Cancel
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Lock the lid and move valve to the SEALING position. Press the MEAT/STEW button and set the time to 40 minutes.
- After cooking is complete let the pot natural pressure release for 10 minutes. Then release any remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid and stir.
Serve over cooked egg noodles, rice or mashed potatoes.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g