Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings takes comfort food to a whole new level!
Not only do you have the classic flavors of chicken and vegetables in a thick and hearty sauce. You also have delicious homemade dumplings made in a fraction of the time of typical chicken and dumpling recipes.
Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings tastes like it has been cooking all day long. And the variety of spices gives it that down home, classic comfort food taste.
The Dumpling Secrets…
Although many recipes call for canned biscuits to be used as the dumplings, I find it much easier to make my own. With just a little flour, baking soda and milk you have the basic ingredients for homestyle dumplings.
Add a little Parmesan cheese and oregano and you have the best homemade dumplings in the world!
When preparing the ingredients for the dumplings, it is important not to overmix the dough. If you mix them too much, the gluten in the flour will be activated and make the dumplings chewy.
When adding the dumplings to the chicken mixture at the end of the recipe, it is important to flip them half way through during the cooking process. This allows the top of the dumplings to finish cooking in the liquid, resulting in perfect homemade dumplings!
Of course, I grew up on Bisquick dumplings which I find still very delicious in a pinch!
For some of our other favorite Instant Pot Recipes click HERE
Check out the recipe below and let me know what you think!
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite size cubes
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 5 cups chicken stock, low-sodium
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- In a medium size bowl/bag, season your chicken pieces with poultry seasoning, cayenne pepper, thyme, oregano, basil, salt, pepper.
- Place your Instant Pot on sauté and melt the butter. Brown chicken pieces on all sides
- Add in the onion, celery, carrots and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes. Turn pot off.
- Add chicken stock and scrap the bottom of the pan to release any pieces that may have stuck to it.
- Place the lid on and vent on sealing. Cook on high pressure/manual for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the dumplings ingredients until moist. Don’t overmix.
- Once cooking time is up, perform a quick release. Remove the lid and place the Instant Pot back on manual mode. Add in the corn and/or peas and let simmer for 5 minutes leaving the lid off.
- Drop tablespoons of the dumpling mixture into the bubbling liquid. Let the dumplings simmer for 8-10 minutes and flip only once.
- Turn off the heat and stir in your cream.
Substitute dumpling ingredients with Bisquick dumpling recipe if desired. Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g