This is the absolute best oven roasted chicken and vegetables recipe!
It is easy to prepare, the chicken is moist and delicious, and the vegetables are tender and flavorful! The best part of this recipe is that you fix it and forget it, and your entire meal will be ready at once.
Oven roasted chicken has always been viewed as a comfort meal. There is just something about slicing into a whole chicken with the flavorful juices flowing down onto fresh vegetables.
The good news is that this classic comfort food is actually healthy for you! For another healthy chicken dish, try our Chicken Paprikash recipe.
But you could also add in other root vegetables as well. Be sure to toss your veggies in olive oil so they become crisp on the outside and soft and tender on the inside.
Then season with salt, pepper and fresh thyme sprigs. The thyme leaves will fall off the stems, leaving you with perfectly seasoned roasted vegetables.
The key to this moist and delicious oven roasted chicken is the addition of lemon, garlic and thyme stuffed in the cavity of the chicken.
The lemon infuses additional flavor and moisture that the meat absorbs. The garlic and thyme add a hint of flavor that will make your mouth water!
With all meat recipes, it is important to cover and let the chicken rest before serving.
The resting allows the liquid to absorb back into the meat and not leak out onto your serving platter when slicing.
If you have any leftover meat, shred and refrigerate for use in other recipes later in the week!
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list.
- 1 roasting chicken, 5-6 pounds
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 large bunch fresh thyme
- 1 lemon
- 1 head garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large yellow onion
- 4 large carrots
- 4 russet potatoes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Clean out the center cavity of the chicken and rinse chicken with water then pat to dry. Let sit at room temperature, uncovered for 30 minutes to dry off.
- Cut the lemon and garlic in half through the middle. Salt and pepper the inside of the chicken and add 3/4th of the thyme, and entire lemon and garlic halves.
- Brush the outside of the chicken with melted butter and add salt and pepper over the entire chicken.
- Coarsely cut the onion, carrots and potatoes into medium sized chunks. Place in the bottom of the roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to combine. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and add the rest of the thyme to the vegetables.
- Place a rack in the bottom of the roasting pan and place the chicken, breast side up, on top. If you don’t have a rack, add chicken directly on top of the vegetables.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 90 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 165 degrees F. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes before serving.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 313Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 184mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 24g
Nutritional Information is to be used as a general guideline only . Nutritional calculations will vary from the types and brands of the products used.