I absolutely love this easy to make, crock pot beef stew recipe. It is a delicious stew filled with tender bits of beef and vegetables in a thick and silky sauce that will make your heart and belly happy!
And with the cold winter weather that has spread across the country this past week, it is a much needed comfort food recipe for all!
Although you can certainly make this recipe on your stove top, I find it much easier to make it in our 6 quart programmable Crock Pot. I can add all the ingredients to the pot and set my timer and let the magic happen.
Then, when the cook time is up, my Crock Pot automatically switches to the Keep Warm setting. I find this feature very beneficial so if I am away from home, the vegetables don’t over cook.
In addition, I find that the flavors meld together better and the meat becomes more much tender when the beef stew cooks low and slow.
How To Make The Best Crock Pot Beef Stew
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Stew meat or chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Baby red potatoes
- Beef broth
- Dry red wine
- Tomato paste
- Worcestershire sauce
- Dried thyme
- Smoked paprika
- Caraway seeds, optional
- Bay leaves
The first step in making this crock pot beef stew is the cut the meat into bite size pieces. Even if you have purchased stew meat, I highly recommend cutting the meat in smaller chunks.
Once your meat has been cut, season both sides with salt and pepper. Then heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
When the oil is hot, add the beef to the skillet and brown on all sides, which will take about 2-3 minutes.
Remove the browned beef from the skillet and place it in the liner of a 6 quart crock pot. Then add the potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic to the beef.
Next stir in the beef broth, wine, tomato paste, Worcestershire, thyme, paprika, caraway seeds (if using) and bay leaves until well combined.
Add a little salt and pepper, to taste. Place the cover on the crock pot and cook the beef stew on LOW for 7-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
At the end of the initial cooking time prepare a roux to thicken the sauce. Do this by adding 1/2 cup of hot liquid from the crock pot to a small bowl. Then whisk in the flour.
Once the mixture no longer has flour clumps, add it back to the pot and stir. Cover and cook on HIGH for an additional 30 minutes. Serve immediately with a slice of Artisan Bread.
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located in the middle of each recipe or email me at email@example.com. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound baby red potatoes, quartered
- 4 carrots, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Season beef with salt and pepper, to taste. Add beef to the skillet and cook until brown on all sides, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add beef, potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic into a 6 quart slow cooker. Stir in beef broth, wine, tomato paste, Worcestershire, thyme, paprika, caraway seeds (if using) and bay leaves until well combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and 1/2 cup hot liquid from the crock pot. Then stir the mixture back into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
If you don't want to use wine, substitute it with additional beef broth.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 382Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 414mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 40g
Nutritional Information is to be used as a general guideline only . Nutritional calculations will vary from the types and brands of the products used.