There is nothing more comforting than a bowl of Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie.
You get all the flavors of classic chicken pot pie without all of the work. No need to spend the time preparing a crust of filling individual bowls.
In fact, with the magic of baked canned biscuits your chicken pot pie takes minutes to assemble.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie
The most time consuming part of making Chicken Pot Pie in the Instant Pot is to prepare the potatoes, onions and celery.
However, it only takes a few minutes to peel and dice the potatoes. And the onions and celery take even less time.
All the other ingredients are added to the pot untouched. Simply dump them in and it is time to cook your chicken pot pie filling.
However, there is one tip to cooking your filling that will make sure that it turns out perfect.
Layer Your Ingredients
In order for your chicken to cook perfectly and your vegetables not turn to mush, you must layer your ingredients.
First, add the chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, and milk to the Instant Pot and stir.
Although adding milk at the beginning of a recipe can sometimes cause the dreaded BURN notice, the addition of the other ingredients prevents that from happening.
Next, add your uncooked chicken breasts to the liquid. Then simply dump the remaining ingredients on top of the chicken and DO NOT STIR.
Adding the vegetables on top will allow them to cook, but not turn to mush.
Now all that is left to do is wait for the chicken pot pie filling to cook.
While you are waiting, it is the perfect time to bake your biscuits. However, if you are using a Ninja Foodi instead of an Instant Pot, I would recommend baking the biscuits using the Air Crisp function before starting this recipe.
You could of course take the time to make homemade biscuits. However, if you are like most of us, the refrigerator canned biscuits work just fine.
Thicken the Chicken Pot Pie Filling
Once the cook time expires, allow the pot to sit and naturally release pressure for at least 5 minutes.
Then pull the chicken breasts out of the liquid and shred with two forks. Just like when you make Instant Pot Cajun Chicken, you will see how easy that the chicken falls apart.
Before adding the shredded chicken back into the Instant Pot, determine whether or not that you want to thicken the sauce.
If you do, make a slurry by whisking equal parts of cornstarch (or arrowroot powder) with cold water. Next, turn the Instant Pot on the Saute mode.
Then stir the slurry into the chicken pot pie filling. Next add your shredded chicken back into the pot and stir until the desired thickness has been reached.
When you are ready, ladle the filling into a bowl and serve or top with a baked biscuit.
Check out the printable recipe below and let me know what you think!
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located on the side and bottom of each recipe. You can also follow us on Facebook, and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
Instant Pot Turkey Pot Pie
- 1 cup turkey or chicken broth
- 1 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups cooked turkey meat chopped
- 1/2 onion diced
- 4 small potatoes peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup of chopped celery
- 1 16 oz bag of frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper powder optional
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Thickener (if needed)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- baked biscuits
- Place the broth, cream of chicken soup, and milk in the liner of the Instant Pot. Stir well.
- Add the chopped turkey into the liquid and then add the remaining ingredients on top.
- Lock the lid in place and set the valve to SEALING.
- Pressure Cook/Manual on HIGH for 8 minutes.
- Once the cook time has expired, complete a controlled Quick Release of Pressure and remove the lid.
- In a small bowl whisk together the cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Slowly stir the slurry into the Instant Pot and place the Instant Pot on Saute until desired thickness has been reached.
- Serve in a bowl with place a biscuit on top.