One of my favorite appetizers to make are these Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms.
Warm and tender mushroom caps filled with a sausage and cheese filling that warms up perfectly when cooked.
But best of all, it is a low-carb snack that I can serve to my friends who are on Keto diet. That means that we can all enjoy a delicious appetizer together without the fear of eating an excessive amount of carbohydrates.
Another bonus, they are easy to prepare and can be on the table and ready to eat in under 20 minutes.
Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
Ground sausage, mild or hot
White button or Baby Bella mushrooms
Extra virgin olive oil
Garlic clove, minced
Cream cheese, room temperature
Shredded Mozzarella cheese
Ground black pepper
The first step in making air fryer stuffed mushrooms is to brown the sausage in a skillet. If you use standard pork sausage you will not need to add any oil to the pan.
However, if you substitute turkey sausage or chicken sausage, you may need to add oil to the pan prior to browning it so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
Regardless of which type of sausage that you use be sure to break up any large pieces as they cook. Once the sausage is cooked through use a slotted spoon or spatula to remove it from the pan.
Place the cooked sausage on a paper towel lined plate to drain. In the same skillet add the oil and diced onion and cook over medium heat until onions are softened.
Then add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, which will take only a minute.
Now add the drained sausage back to the pan. Then stir in the cream cheese, shredded Mozzarella, salt and pepper. Continue to mix until cream cheese is melted and well combined.
Then remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
Prepare The Mushrooms
Now prepare the mushrooms by rinsing them under cold water and gently scrubbing the surface to remove any dirt. Then lightly pat them dry with paper towels.
Remove the mushroom stems by twisting them off at the base of the mushroom cap. We will not be using the mushroom stems, however be sure to save them to use in another recipe.
Once the mushrooms have been prepared spoon the filling mixture into mushroom caps. Be sure to mound the filling over the top.
Then preheat the Air Fryer at 400°F (204°C) for 5 minutes. Do this even if you air fryer brand doesn’t require you to preheat before cooking.
Putting the stuffed mushrooms in a hot air fryer will allow the mushrooms to become tender, yet hold firm enough to hold the stuffing mixture.
Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to work in batches. The important thing to remember is that there is space between the mushrooms when placed in the basket.
This space will allow air to circulate between the mushrooms and allow for even cooking.
Once the mushrooms have been placed in the basket decrease the temperature to 370° F (188°C ). Then set the cook timer for 8 minutes.
Because all air fryer brands cook at a different rate, be sure to check the doneness at the 6 minute mark. They are done when the sausage and cheese mixture is melted and it begins to turn light golden brown in color.
When the mushrooms are finished cooking, use tongs or a long handled spatula to carefully remove them from the basket and place them on a serving platter.
Garnish with parsley if desired and serve hot. You can also make these ahead of time and serve at room temperature.
Store any leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Other Air Fryer Appetizers
If you want more appetizers and snack recipes, be sure to check out some of my other favorite recipes that you can make in your air fryer.
- Fried Ravioli
- Fried Pickles
- Pizza Sticks
- Apple Fries
- Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Margherita Flatbread Pizza
- Vegetarian Quesadillas
- Jalapeno Popper Bites
- Bang Bang Shrimp
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located on the side and bottom of each recipe. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- ¼ pound ground sausage, mild or hot
- 16 ounces white button mushrooms, approximately 12-14 large whole mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Brown sausage in a skillet, breaking up any large pieces as they cook. Remove the sausage from the pan and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- In the same pan add the oil, diced onion and cook over medium heat until onions are softened. Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the sausage back to the pan and then stir in the cream cheese, shredded Mozzarella, salt and pepper. Continue to mix until cream cheese is melted and well combined.
- Prepare the mushrooms by rinsing them under cold water and lightly scrubbing the surface to remove any dirt. Pat dry with paper towels and then remove stems, saving them for anothe ruse.
- Spoon filling mixture into mushroom caps, mounding the filling over the top.
- Preheat the Air Fryer for 5 minutes at 400°F (204°C).
- Working in batches as needed, place the stuffed mushrooms in air fryer, leaving space between each one to allow for even cooking.
- Place the air fryer cook temperature 370° F (188°C ). Cook for 8 minutes or until the cheese is nice and melted.
- Open the air fryer basket and carefully remove the stuffed mushrooms to a serving platter. Garnish with parsley and serve hot or serve later at room temperature.
- Store leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Conventional oven instructions: Bake at 375°F for 17-20 minutes
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 107Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 140mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g
Nutritional Information is to be used as a general guideline only . Nutritional calculations will vary from the types and brands of the products used.