One of my favorite summertime dinner meals is this Skillet Sausage & Zucchini Recipe. Not only does it taste delicious but it is also a great way to use our fresh picked zucchini right out of the garden.
The zucchini is then sliced and cooked with bell peppers, onions and sausages for a complete, low-carb, gluten-free meal.
It can be served as a stand alone, complete dinner. Although, if you prefer, you could also serve it over a bed of rice, with pasta, or with a side dish of potatoes.
However you decide to serve it, the best part of all, is that it is cooked all together in one skillet. That means after dinner, little clean up is required.
Skillet Sausage & Zucchini Recipe
Extra virgin olive oil
Large sausage links **
Bell or sweet bell pepper
Fresh ground black pepper
Tips for the Zucchini & Sausage
*Use small to medium size zucchini for this recipe. The larger ones have a large seed core which isn’t ideal when sautéing.
**You can use pre-cooked or raw sausage. However if you use the fully cooked variety, you will still need to slice and heat the sausage prior to cooking the vegetables.
To make things a little healthier, I used Chicken Sausage in this recipe. Although you can use Kielbasa, Pork Sausage, Plant Based Sausage or any variety that you prefer.
The first step in making this Sausage and Zucchini recipe is to cook or brown the sausage in a skillet.
If you are using pre-cooked sausage, slice each one to make 1/4 inch circles. Then add oil to the skillet and cook until browned on both sides.
However, if you are using raw sausage it is best to begin cooking them whole, and not sliced. This is because it is difficult to cut the sausage into nice round slices without them partially cooked.
Therefore, allow them to brown on all sides for 5-7 minutes. Then remove them to a cutting board, and slice them in 1/4 inch rounds.
Saute The Vegetables
While the sausage is cooking, cut the zucchini, onion and pepper. To allow for even cooking it is best to cut them into similar sizes.
Once you have removed the sausage from the pan decrease the heat and add a little more oil to the skillet. Then add the diced zucchini, onion & bell pepper to the pan.
Add the oregano, basil, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper and toss to coat the vegetables.
Saute for 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent and the zucchini and peppers are tender. This will take approximately 5 minutes.
When the zucchini can easily be pierced with a fork add the cooked sausage and minced garlic to the skillet and stir. Heat for an additional 2-3 minutes, tossing the sausage with the vegetables.
Taste and add additional salt or pepper as desired.
Serve as a stand alone meal if you want to keep it low-carb. Or serve the on a bed of rice or pasta or with one of our favorite potato recipes.
Potato Side Dish Recommendations
- Garlic Butter Smashed Potatoes
- Air Fryer Ranch Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Hasselback Potatoes
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes
Finally, if you are looking for other ways to use the zucchini that you have picked out of the garden, check out some of our favorite zucchini recipes below.
Other Zucchini Recipes
- Zucchini Bread
- Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Relish
- Zucchini Crisp (tastes like Apple Crisp)
- Pizza Boats
- Air Fryer Zucchini Crisps
- Chicken Teriyaki Stir Fry
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located in the middle of each recipe or email me at email@example.com. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in chunks
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 large sausage links
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 bell or sweet bell pepper, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the whole sausages and brown on all sides. Remove the sausages and slice them into 1/4 inch circles. Return them to the pan to finish cooking. Once no longer pink in the center use tongs to remove the sausage from the skillet and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add remaining 1 Tbsp of oil to the skillet. Then add the zucchini, onion & bell pepper. Add the oregano, basil, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper and toss to coat the vegetables.
- Saute for 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent and the zucchini and peppers are tender, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked sausage and minced garlic to the skillet and stir. Heat for 2-3 minutes. Add additional salt or pepper as desired.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 483mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 6g
Nutritional Information is to be used as a general guideline only . Nutritional calculations will vary from the types and brands of the products used.