If you are looking for a delicious and easy to make snack or appetizer you are going to love this Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels recipe.
Leftover, shredded, rotisserie chicken is transformed into an easy to make appetizer that is filled with a burst of flavor in every bite.
The base consists of a ranch flavored cream cheese spread on top of crescent roll dough. Then Buffalo sauce provides a little zest and the blue cheese compliments it perfectly with a little tang.
Then it is rolled up into an easy to eat, hand-held appetizer that requires no utensils. It is great to serve at parties but also as a quick and easy snack any day of the year.
Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels Recipe
- Refrigerated Crescent Rolls – You can use whatever brand that you prefer. They will typically come in a tube that holds 8 crescent rolls. However, you can now purchase sheets of crescent roll dough as well. If you use the sheets, simply cut it into 4 equal rectangles.
- Whipped cream cheese spread – Be sure to use plain, whipped spread and not a block of cream cheese. The spread is lighter and easier to manage.
- Dry Ranch dressing mix – Typically found in 1-ounce packets near the seasoning aisle at your grocery store. You may also find it in a larger plastic spice container near the seasoning salt, garlic salt or barbecue seasoning section or here on Amazon. Although, you can also use our Homemade Dry Ranch Seasoning recipe to make your own.
- Leftover deli rotisserie chicken – This is a great recipe to use leftover rotisserie chicken. Simply pull it apart and cut it in manageable, bite size pieces. Or you can use whatever leftover chicken that you have on hand.
- Buffalo wing sauce – We like to keep it traditional and use Frank’s wing sauce for our Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels. However, there are many brands available that are delicious. Pick your favorite!
- Crumbled blue cheese – Because of its strong flavor, I kept this as an optional ingredient. Either you love it or hate it. However, blue cheese is traditionally served with buffalo wings so I decided to throw it in as an option.
- Butter – Did you know that Buffalo wing sauce is simply a mixture of hot sauce and butter? So to enhance the crescent roll dough during the baking process, I decided to add a little boost to the wing sauce and added more butter. This exterior coating provides not only another layer of flavor, but also helps the rolls brown up nicely.
Before you begin making your Buffalo Chicken pinwheels, pre-heat the oven and then gather a large baking sheet.
Although you can cook them on a plain, un-greased baking sheet, I prefer to line it with parchment paper or a silicone mat. It simply makes clean up a breeze!
Next, grab the tube of refrigerated crescent rolls and unroll the dough. Then separate the dough into 4 rectangles.
Seal the perforated edges together by firmly pressing and pinching them together. Set them aside while you prepare the filling mixture.
In a small bowl add the whipped cream cheese spread and dry ranch dressing mix. Mix until evenly incorporated.
Then spread each rectangle with about 3 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture, getting within 1/4 inch of the edges.
In a medium bowl, add the shredded and chopped chicken, 2 tablespoons of the Buffalo wing sauce and toss until the chicken is well coated.
Then use a tongs to divide the chicken evenly among the rectangles. Be sure to place the chicken within 1/2 inch of the edges of the dough.
Now top each rectangle with crumbled blue cheese if desired. It might be a good idea to sprinkle half of the Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels with the cheese and half without. That way you make everyone happy!
Roll and Cut
Starting at the shortest side, tightly roll each rectangle and then pinch the edges to seal. Place seam side down on a cutting board.
Using a serrated knife, carefully cut each roll into 6 even slices. This is done easiest if you score each roll in the middle and then score each half into two more even sections. Then cut along those guided lines.
After they are cut place each roll, 1 inch apart, on the prepared baking sheet.
Then mix the melted butter and remaining wing sauce in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the pinwheels with the butter and wing sauce mixture.
Now you are ready to bake the Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels! Place the baking sheet in the pre-heated oven and cook until they are golden brown.
Then remove them from the oven and serve warm with Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing as a dipping sauce.
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located on the side and bottom of each recipe. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 1 can (8 oz) refrigerated Crescent Rolls
- 3/4 cup whipped cream cheese spread
- 1 tablespoon dry ranch dressing mix
- 3/4 cup deli rotisserie chicken, shredded and diced
- 3 tablespoons Buffalo wing sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese, optional
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- Unroll crescent roll dough and separate dough into 4 rectangles. Seal by firmly pressing the perforations together.
- In small bowl, mix whipped cream cheese spread and dry ranch dressing mix. Then spread each rectangle with about 3 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture, getting within 1/4 inch of the edges.
- In medium bowl, add the shredded and chopped chicken, 2 tablespoons of the wing sauce and toss until the chicken is well coated. Divide the chicken evenly among the rectangles.
- Top each rectangle with blue cheese if using.
- Starting at the shortest side, tightly roll each rectangle and then pinch the edges to seal. Using a serrated knife, cut each roll into 6 even slices.
- Place each roll, 1 inch apart, on an un-greased, large baking sheet.
- In small bowl, mix the melted butter and remaining 1 tablespoon wing sauce. Brush pinwheels with the butter mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with ranch dressing as a dipping sauce.
Air Fryer Temperature: 350°F and decrease cooking time by 4-5 minutes.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 45Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 147mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 3g
Nutritional Information is to be used as a general guideline only . Nutritional calculations will vary from the types and brands of the products used.