One of my favorite breakfast recipes is this Instant Pot French Toast Casserole.
All the flavors of classic French Toast wrapped up in an easy to make and easy to cook casserole.
When I purchased my first Instant Pot 6 quart Duo, making breakfast in it was the furthest thing from my mind.
I had planned on using it solely for dinners that took a long time to cook using traditional cooking methods. And I wasn’t disappointed! Roast Beef, Chili, Ribs, you name it and I have tried them all!
However, I never imagined that I would be making breakfast recipes in it as well.
So I decided to expand my recipes and give Instant Pot French Toast Casserole a try.
And I have to admit, I could eat this dish every day!!! Okay, maybe not everyday, but it is absolutely delicious!
How to Make Instant Pot French Toast Casserole
However, in order to make this recipe, you must first understand that it is considered a Pot-In-Pot recipe.
This simply means that the casserole is made in another dish that is lowered into the liner of the Instant Pot.
So the first step is to find an oven-safe dish that fits comfortably inside your Instant Pot. We use a 7 inch round CorningWare dish for pot-in-pot recipes.
Next, it is time to cube the bread. We like to use either Challah bread or Texas toast. Thicker bread is best to use for French Toast as it will hold up better in the Instant Pot during the cooking process.
However, if all you have on hand is standard white bread, by all means you can still make it work.
The key is to try to leave your bread cubes out overnight to let them dry out a bit. Or place them in an oven that is heated at 200°F until the bread is dried, but not toasted.
Next, put the bread in the 7 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with oil to prevent sticking.
Now mix together the milk and egg mixture and pour it on top. Be sure to gently push the bread down so that the top of the bread is damp.
Cover With Foil
Spray aluminum foil with non-stick spray and place it tightly over the dish. This will help the French Toast from gaining too much moisture while it cooks in the Instant Pot.
Lower the dish onto the trivet that came with the pressure cooker. Lock the lid in place and move the valve to the SEALING position.
Once the pot has come to pressure and the cook time has expired, let the pot sit and Natural Pressure Release for 10 minutes.
Crisp The Top
Now remove the dish from the Instant Pot and carefully remove the foil.
Because this French Toast is made in the Instant Pot, it will be quite moist. However, it is easy to crisp the top of the French Toast Casserole.
If you have the crisper lid remove the water in your Instant Pot and place the dish back in the Instant Pot on the trivet. Crisp the top until nice and golden brown.
However, if you don’t have the crisper lid, simply place your French Toast Casserole under a broiler for a few minutes.
Then scoop and serve with powdered sugar and maple syrup for a delicious, easy to make breakfast!
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located on the side and bottom of each recipe. You can also follow us on Facebook, and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
Instant Pot French Toast Casserole
- 1/2 loaf challah bread cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- Powdered sugar
- Maple Syrup
- Whisk together eggs, milk, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla and melted butter, set aside.
- Coat an oven safe 7-inch bowl or cake pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Add cubed bread to the bowl. Pour egg mixture over the bread and gently press bread down to coat with the egg mixture. Cover the top tightly with aluminum foil that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Pour the cup of water in the Instant Pot. Place the trivet into the Instant Pot.
- Place the bowl or cake pan on top of the trivet. Lock the lid in place and turn valve to the SEALING position. Pressure Cook/Manual on HIGH pressure for 25 minutes.
- Once the cook time expires, allow 10 minutes of Natural Pressure Release.
- Remove the bowl from the Instant Pot and place under a broiler for a few minutes to allow the top to crisp (or remove the liquid and use the Instant Pot Crisper lid).
- Optional: Top with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and maple syrup.