Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup – the perfect way to use that leftover ham bone!
After a big ham dinner, I always throw the bone and any bits of meat falling from it in a ziplock bag in the freezer.
But this year, I decided that I would use up the frozen ham bone in a different way. It was time to make Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup.
To be honest, I have never been a fan of bean soup. The dislike stemmed from my childhood. I remember that distinct smell as I walked into the house as a child as it cooked on the stove.
I had never even taken a bite of ham and bean soup. But the smell immediately had me begging for my neighborhood friends to invite me to dinner.
I have since learned to love all types of beans, especially if they are made in the Instant Pot. The texture and flavor are more tolerable to me than when they are made on the stovetop or in a slow cooker.
So this year, I decided to pull out that frozen ham bone and give Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup a try.
WOW!!!!! I have been missing out on the amazing flavor of this soup for years!
An added bonus for me….the smell is kept within the Instant Pot until it is time to open up the valve and lid. And since it has completely cooked, the smell of beans cooking on the stove isn’t the predominant smell. It is complimented with the smell of the ham and veggies.
So next time you have a ham bone and aren’t sure what to do with it, you must give this Instant Pot Ham and Bean soup a try! It’s made in minutes and is absolutely, mouth-watering delicious!
Check out the printable recipe below and all of our recipes and let me know what you think!
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list.
- 1 1/2 lbs Ham Hock/Ham Bone with meat attached
- 1 lb Navy or Pinto Beans, dried
- 6 cups chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 ribs of celery, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Add all ingredients to the liner of the Instant Pot. Stir.
- Put the lid on, and knob to sealing.
- Press the Beans/Stew button or Pressure Cook/Manual on high for 50 minutes.
- When the cooking time is up, push cancel to turn off the pot and natural pressure release for 20-30 minutes.
- Quick pressure release any remaining pressure with a controlled release done in short spurts.
- Remove ham bones and bay leaves and stir.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g