Instant Pot scalloped potatoes has become our favorite go-to, family gathering side dish to make!
I would have never imagined that I would be making scalloped potatoes in the Instant Pot. I have always made them in the oven and they were perfect.
However, one day when I was making a large meal for our extended family, I ran out of oven space.
I had a large ham taking up the space on the top rack, and a large baking sheet of roasted vegetables on the bottom rack.
I didn’t have enough room in the oven for the potatoes. And I knew that I wouldn’t have enough time to bake the scalloped potatoes after the others were cooked.
So I pulled out my trusty Instant Pot and our Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes recipe was born!
I have never followed a true recipe when making Scalloped Potatoes. I have just used the basic concept of milk, cheese, spices and potatoes.
However, there have been a few good surprise ingredients that make this recipe so tasty!
I use both heavy cream and milk. The cream adds not only a little thickness to the sauce, but also another depth of flavor that you wouldn’t get if you only used milk.
When adding garlic I prefer to grate mine with a microplaner, as it blends better with the sauce mixture.
Don’t be afraid of using cayenne pepper. It adds a little flavor without a hint of heat.
And the absolute biggest surprise ingredient – cilantro!
I actually came across using cilantro in my recipe by accident. When I would make scalloped potatoes in the past, I always grabbed a small handful of parsley and threw it in.
When I went to the grocery to gather the ingredients, I mistakenly bought cilantro instead. So I decided that I would give it a try!
It was amazing! Now I use it in my recipes all the time!
And one last hint – if you prefer, you can peel your potatoes. If i have enough time I do, but sometimes I am in such a hurry, that I keep the peels on. Either way, they taste great!
Check out the printable recipe below and all of our recipes and let me know what you think!
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list.
Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes and Ham (optional)
- 4-5 medium russet potatoes washed, peeled if desired
- 1/2 cup diced ham optional
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced or grated
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese
- Thinly slice the potatoes using a sharp knife or a mandolin slicer, set aside.
- In a medium bowl add milk, heavy cream, garlic flour, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and cilantro. Whisk well.
- Using non-stick cooking spray an oven safe pan that can fit inside your pressure cooker without touching the sides.
- Place half of the potatoes and half of the diced ham in the round pan. Top with ½ cup of mozzarella cheese and ½ cup of cheddar cheese.
- Pour half of the liquid over the top of the cheese.
- Repeat the layer by adding the rest of the potatoes, ham and liquid, but not the cheese.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of water into the liner of the Instant Pot and place the pan on top of your trivet. Carefully lower the trivet and pan down into the pot.
- Close the lid and move the valve to the sealing position. Pressure cook/manual on high pressure for 28 minutes.
- Once cooking time expires complete a quick release of pressure.
- Add remaining cheese, close the lid and let cheese melt for 5 minutes.
- Carefully lift the trivet and pan out and place on a baking sheet.
- Top with the remaining cheese and place under the broiler in your oven for 3 minutes until the cheese begins to brown.
- Let potatoes sit for 5 minutes to set before eating.