Ham and Cheese Pinwheels are a classic appetizer that you will find at many parties, potlucks and holiday gatherings. In fact, it is one of the most popular menu items served at bridal and baby showers, family picnics and Christmas gatherings.
They are extremely popular because they are easy to make and require no cooking. Simply spread the ingredients onto a tortilla shell and roll them up.
Then slice them into small, bite size pieces. They make for the perfect hand held appetizer or snack that both kids and adults love.
However, there are a few important tips listed below that you will want to know so that they hold together perfectly, and don’t fall apart when slicing or eating.
Ham and Cheese Pinwheels
8 inch flour tortillas
Chive & onion cream cheese spread
Swiss or Provolone cheese
Before you start making ham and cheese pinwheels, be sure that you are starting with fresh, soft, flour tortilla shells.
If your tortilla shells are a little out dated, they will break when being rolled. And the same holds true with fresh corn tortilla shells.
Lay out each tortilla and then spread each one with a layer of chive and onion cream cheese spread, being sure to spread it within 1/4 inch of the edges.
Layer ham and then cheese in middle of the tortilla. It is best to slightly place the meat and cheese a little off center, with the edge closest to you.
Sprinkle lettuce (or other vegetables) on top of the meat and cheese. Starting with the meat edge that is closest to you roll the tortilla up tightly.
Then wrap each ham and cheese pinwheel in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, but preferably for an hour. Unwrap each roll and use a serrated knife to cut into one inch slices.
Serve cold as an appetizer, snack or lunch. Refrigerate or freeze leftovers.
Other Suggested Pinwheel Combinations:
One of the best parts of this ham and cheese pinwheels recipe is that you can customize the ingredients how ever you want.
However, always start with some sort of spread on the tortilla. This will help keep things ‘glued’ together when rolling the ingredients. Suggested spreads: cream cheese (all sorts of flavors), peanut butter, marinara sauce, hummus, or ranch dressing.
Then once you have the base of your pinwheels, fill them with your favorite ingredients.
- Roast Beef and Swiss Cheese
- Buffalo Chicken and Blue Cheese
- Peanut Butter and Bananas
- Turkey and Cheddar Cheese
- Pepperoni and Cheese with Marinara Sauce
- Hummus and Sliced Veggies
The sky is the limit for this recipe! What other combinations can you think of?
Other Easy Snacks
- Air Fryer English Muffin Pizzas
- No Bake Peanut Butter Snack Bites
- Air Fryer Pizza Sticks
- Homemade Crunchwraps
- Easy Soft Pretzel Bites
- Air Fryer Donuts
- Homemade Chewy Granola Bars
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located in the middle of each recipe or email me at email@example.com. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
Ham and Cheese Pinwheels
Classic Ham and Cheese pinwheels that can be served as an appetizer, snack or lunch.
- 4 flour tortillas, 8 inch
- 7.5 ounces Chive & Onion cream cheese spread
- 24 slices deli ham, about 1 pound
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- Shredded lettuce
- Spread each tortilla with a layer of chive and onion cream cheese spread, being sure to spread it within 1/4 inch of the edges.
- Layer ham and cheese on 2/3rds of the tortilla.
- Sprinkle lettuce (or other vegetables) on top of the meat and cheese.
- Starting with the meat edge roll the tortilla up tightly. Wrap each roll up in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 60 minutes.
- Unwrap each roll and use a serrated knife to cut each one into one inch slices.
- Serve cold as an appetizer, snack or lunch.
Refrigerate or freeze leftovers.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 80Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 236mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 5g
Nutritional Information is to be used as a general guideline only . Nutritional calculations will vary from the types and brands of the products used.