These Hash Brown Egg Nests are the perfect breakfast recipe to serve on any Spring morning. And they have now become one of the most requested recipes from my family for Easter morning.
It all starts with shredded hash brown potatoes and cheese that are formed in a muffin tin to resemble a bird’s nest.
Then after they are partially cooked, each nest is filled with a cracked egg and topped with crumbled bacon and cheese.
Once baked, the muffin cups become the perfect breakfast that can be served as the main dish, or as part of a complete brunch.
And depending on how long you bake them, they can even be an easy hand held breakfast that is perfect when you are on the go. Make a few extra and store them in the refrigerator or freezer and reheat them whenever you need a quick and easy breakfast.
Hash Brown Egg Nests Recipe
Frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper to taste
Cooked bacon, crumbled
Before you begin, the first step in making these Hash Brown Egg Nests is to thaw the frozen, shredded hash browns. However, I find this easiest if making them in the morning to set the frozen bag of hash browns in your refrigerator the night before.
Then open the bag and let them finish thawing as you make your coffee.
Once the hash browns are thawed add them to a large bowl along with the cheddar cheese, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
Next, grease the muffin pan and divide hash brown mixture evenly between each cup. The loosely packed potatoes should fill each cup.
Then use your fingers to pack them tightly and shape them into nests, being sure to push them up the sides of the cups. The key here is to pack them tightly.
Pre-Bake The Hash Browns
Bake the hash brown nests in a preheated oven for 15 minutes. The potatoes will begin to brown, especially around the top edges.
Once the bake time is up, remove the pan from the oven and decrease the oven temperature. Using a greased back of a spoon or a mini tart shaper lightly make an indention in each hash brown cup.
Then crack a medium egg into each muffin cup on top of the hash browns. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Now sprinkle crumbled bacon and cheese on top of each egg. Place the pan back into the oven and bake until the egg whites are cooked.
Depending on how well done you would like the yolk, bake for 13-20 minutes. We prefer the egg hard boiled and they were perfectly cooked in 20 minutes in our oven.
However, if you want your Hash Brown Egg Nests to have a runny yolk, remove the pan as soon as the egg whites are set. Of course, increase the time for over medium eggs.
Once you remove the pan from the oven garnish the tops with parsley. Let the egg nests rest for a couple of minutes before you remove them so they have a chance to set.
Then gently slide a knife along the edges of each muffin cup and use a fork to lift them out of the pan.
Enjoy immediately or let cool and store in the refrigerator. To reheat, place the egg nests in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
Other Delicious Breakfast Recipes
- Keto Egg Muffins
- Sausage Hash Brown Casserole
- Best Breakfast Casserole
- Air Fryer Breakfast Bombs
- Air Fryer Breakfast Egg Rolls
- Instant Pot Breakfast Frittata
- Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located in the middle of each recipe or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
Hash Brown Egg Nests Recipe - The Perfect Breakfast Recipe
Hash browns cooked in a muffin tin to resemble a bird's nest and then topped with an egg and bacon for the perfect, all in one breakfast recipe that is great to serve as a special treat.
- 15 oz. bag of frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- 1 cup Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 medium eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Mix the hash browns, cheddar cheese, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste in a mixing bowl.
- Grease the muffin pan and divide hash brown mixture. Use your fingers to pack them tightly and shape them into nests.
- Bake at 425°F (220°C) for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and crack a medium egg into muffin cup on top of the hash browns. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with crumbled bacon and 1 tablespoon cheese.
- Reduce the temperature and bake at 350°F (175°C) until the egg whites are cooked, about 15 minutes. If you like your egg yolks over medium, increase cook time to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with parsley. Let the egg nexts sit for a couple of minutes so that it can set. Then gently slide a knife along the edges and use a fork to lift them out of the pan.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 360Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 196mgSodium: 643mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 15g
Nutritional Information is to be used as a general guideline only . Nutritional calculations will vary from the types and brands of the products used.