With apple picking season just around the corner, I decided it was time to dig out my favorite apple recipes, including this Glazed Apple Coffee Cake Recipe.
Autumn is one of my favorite times of the year. The weather starts to cool down enough that you can easily go out and enjoy a trip to the apple orchard or pumpkin patch.
And although most of you have most likely already ordered your first Pumpkin Latte, I dedicate the month of September to everything apple related. Then, of course, October becomes Pumpkin-mania!
Our Favorite Apple Recipes
- Instant Pot Apple Butter
- Slow Cooker Apple Butter
- Classic Apple Pie
- Apple Hand Pies
- Creamy Caramel Apple Dip
- Slow Cooker Cinnamon Applesauce
- Instant Pot Apple Sauce
- Instant Pot Caramel Apple Cheesecake
- Quinoa Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Bowl
And now, we can add this Glazed Apple Coffee Cake to the list as well! Not only does it taste fantastic, it is super easy to make!
With the help of a cake mix, you will have the batter made and in the oven in a matter of minutes! And within the hour you will be able to sit back and enjoy a sweet breakfast treat or a dessert with your family and friends.
Glazed Apple Coffee Cake Recipe
Of course any apple recipe begins with picking out the right apple for the job. There are certain varieties of apples that hold up better when baked.
For this recipe we prefer to use Granny Smith, Honey Crisp, Fuji or Gala apples. Just peel and dice the apples and place them in a large bowl. Then sprinkle a mixture of cinnamon sugar on top and set aside while you prepare the cake batter.
Next, in a mixing bowl, beat together the wet ingredients. You will see that this Glazed Apple Coffee Cake Recipe uses applesauce as one of the ingredients.
Use Applesauce Not Oil
We started to use all natural, unflavored applesauce in place of vegetable oil in many of our baking recipes. Not only is it a healthier alternative, the flavor is perfect for this recipe!
Now, slowly add the yellow cake mix until well incorporated. Then, using a large spoon or spatula, fold in the diced and prepared apples until they are distributed throughout the batter.
Pour the apple coffee cake batter into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cinnamon sugar on top. Use a butter knife to make swirls on the top of the cake by dragging it in a stripe motion several times, both vertically and horizontally.
Then put in an oven that has been preheated to 350°F. Bake for approximately 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. While the apple coffee cake is cooking, prepare the glaze.
Mix the glaze ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. If the glaze appears to thick, add a little more milk. On the contrary, if it is too thin, add a little more powdered sugar.
Then drizzle the glaze on top of the entire cake. Serve warm or cover and store at room temperature. This glazed apple coffee cake is a great breakfast treat when served with coffee. Or enjoy it as a dessert or snack on a cool Autumn evening.
Cover and store at room temperature.
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located in the middle of each recipe or email me at email@example.com. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 2 apples, peeled and diced into small pieces
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup sour cream, plain
- 3/4 cup applesauce, natural
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 box yellow cake mix, standard size
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Spray a 9x13 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- Place the apples in a medium size bowl, set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together. Remove 3 Tbsps and sprinkle over the apples.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, applesauce, eggs, and vanilla extract, beat with an electric mixer until well combined.
- Gradually add in the cake mix, gently mixing with the beater.
- Add the apples and mix by hand until well incorporated. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared 9x13 pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon sugar mixture over the top of the cake. Use a butter knife to swirl this mixture into the cake batter.
- Bake for 32-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract. Use a whisk to mix until smooth.
- Pour the glaze over the warm cake or let the cake cool completely then add the glaze.
- Serve right away or allow the coffee cake to completely cool. Cover and store on the counter.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 266mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 1gSugar: 39gProtein: 3g