This will be the only homemade sloppy Joes recipe that you will ever need, and best off all it is not made from a can and it is made without ketchup!
Although ketchup has been considered a main ingredient in many recipes, I find that it makes the sauce way too sweet. In addition, many brands of ketchup contain high fructose corn syrup, which we try to avoid in our house.
So instead, we use natural ingredients that provide the perfect balance of sweet, spicy and tangy flavors that compliment each other perfectly.
And best of all, there are no crazy ingredients to purchase. With just a few basic spices that you already have in your cabinet and a few other common pantry items, you can have a homemade weeknight dinner on the table in no time!
However, don’t just think about this as an easy ground beef recipe that you can make for dinner. We double this recipe and it becomes one of our favorite game day, picnic, and potluck meals as well.
Homemade Sloppy Joes Without Ketchup
- Ground beef
- Bell pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Tomato paste
- Brown sugar
- Chili powder
- Dijon Mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
- Tomato sauce
Before you begin to make homemade sloppy Joes without ketchup, gather the ingredients and dice the bell pepper and onion.
Then add the beef to a large skillet placed over medium-high heat. Cook until brown, breaking apart into crumbles as it cooks, about 5 minutes. Transfer to colander to drain.
To the same skillet add the bell pepper and onion and cook 3-4 minutes, until soft. Then stir in the salt, pepper and garlic powder and finally add ground beef back to the skillet.
Next, stir in tomato paste until well incorporated.
Then add water, brown sugar, chili powder, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato sauce. Stir your homemade sloppy joe mixture until well to combine.
Cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, or until mixture has thickened to your liking. Remove the pan from heat and serve over toasted buns or on top of baked potatoes.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Instead of ground beef, use ground turkey, ground chicken or even plant-based crumbles for a healthier alternative.
- If you like a sweeter sauce, use a red or yellow bell pepper instead of a green bell pepper.
- Although brown sugar provides a touch of sweetness, if you prefer, you can skip it all together or use a sugar substitute instead.
- Crock Pot instructions – brown the ground beef and onions in a skillet, drain and add to a slow cooker. Then mix in the remaining ingredients and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
Recommended Side Dishes To Go With Homemade Sloppy Joes
- Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
- Amish Country Potato Salad
- BLT Pasta Sald
- Homemade Coleslaw
- Air Fryer Potato Chips
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Crock Pot Baked Beans
- Air Fryer Tater Tots
Enjoy your Homemade Sloppy Joes!
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located on the side and bottom of each recipe. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 1/2 TBSP brown sugar
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 TBSP Dijon Mustard
- 1 1/2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- Add beef to a large skillet placed over medium-high heat. Cook until brown, breaking apart into crumbles as it cooks, about 5 minutes. Transfer to colander to drain.
- To the same skillet add bell pepper and onion and cook 3-4 minutes, until soft. Stir in salt, pepper and garlic powder and then add ground beef back to the skillet.
- Stir in tomato paste until well incorporated.
- Add water, brown sugar, chili powder, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato sauce. Stir well to combine.
- Cook over MED heat for 10-15 minutes, until mixture has thickened to your liking. Remove from heat and serve over toasted buns.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 262Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 690mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 22g
Nutritional Information is to be used as a general guideline only . Nutritional calculations will vary from the types and brands of the products used.