When I was asking the family for some dinner ideas that would be quick and easy and that I could make in my Instant Pot, Beef Stroganoff was suggested.
However, there was one problem. We had no ground beef left in the house, and I didn’t want to run to the grocery. So I looked in my freezer to see what I could use as a substitute.
In the freezer I found plenty of frozen chicken breasts. However, as much as I love chicken recipes, I just wasn’t feeling chicken for dinner. Then I saw a package of ground turkey.
I thought that would be the perfect fit for our Instant Pot Stroganoff meal! And that is when I saw a one pound package of plant-based ground ‘meat’.
We had purchased it at the grocery a few months ago when the meat aisles were bare. And since that time we have used the plant based crumbles (their name for ground ‘meat’) in our Taco Casserole and Chili recipes. Honestly, you couldn’t tell the difference in the taste or texture.
So I decided to use it in our Stroganoff recipe! Although, to have full disclosure, I didn’t tell the picky, meat loving humans in my house that is what they were eating. And just as I suspected, they all asked for seconds!
Instant Pot Stroganoff Recipe
No matter what type of ground meat that you are using, the first step in this recipe is to cook the meat. Press the Saute function on your Instant Pot and add oil.
Once the front display reads HOT, add your ground meat and cook until no longer pink, or cooked through. Drain the grease if needed.
Next, while the pot is still on the saute mode, add your diced onions, garlic and sliced mushrooms. Continue to stir for one minute, then press Cancel.
Now add in the beef stock, flour and the can of condensed cream of mushroom soup. Of course, if you have homemade cream of mushroom soup you can use that instead for this Instant Pot Stroganoff recipe.
Stir the mixture until incorporated or until no clumps of flour remain. Then add the egg noodles and stir again. Press the noodles down into the liquid mixture and lock the lid in place.
Move the valve to the SEALING position and pressure cook/manual on HIGH pressure for 3 minutes. However, please note that if you use a different variety of noodles you will need to adjust the cooking time. Cook for half of the amount listed on the back of the noodle package.
And if there is a range of time listed on the instructions, such as 8-9 minutes, always half the lower number. Therefore, in this case your Stroganoff would cook in the Instant Pot for 4 minutes.
Once the cook time is up, carefully move the valve to the VENTING position and once the pin drops, remove the lid. Let the stroganoff cool for a few minutes. Then stir and add in the sour cream and parsley.
Continue to stir and let the mixture sit until it thickens to the desired consistency. If you would like the Stroganoff to be even thicker, turn the Instant Pot on the Saute mode and stir frequently until some of the liquid evaporates.
Serve with hot fresh dinner rolls and enjoy!
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located on the side and bottom of each recipe. You can also follow us on Facebook, and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
Instant Pot Stroganoff
- 1 pound ground meat beef, turkey, plant-based crumbles
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms sliced
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 10.5 ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup or homemade
- 2 1/4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 8 ounces wide egg noodle
- 1/3 cup sour cream or Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley leaves chopped
- Turn Instant Pot to saute and add the oil. When the display reads HOT and add ground meat. Brown the meat, breaking it into small pieces as it cooks, and season it with salt and pepper. Remove any excess grease.
- Add onion, garlic and sliced mushrooms and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the flour, cream of mushroom soup, beef broth, and stir to combine. Be sure to deglaze the bottom of the pan to remove any brown bits.
- Add the egg noodles, stir and push the noodles down into the liquid as much as possible.
- Secure instant pot lid, and turn valve to sealed position. Pressure Cook/Manual on High Pressure Setting for 3 minutes.
- When pressure cooking is complete, carefully move the valve to venting to Quick Release the Pressure.
- Carefully remove the lid and stir mixture. Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes, then stir in sour cream, parsley, and additional salt and pepper to taste.