One of my favorite comfort meals is this Slow Cooker Whole Chicken & Gravy recipe. Fall apart, moist and juicy chicken that takes minutes to prepare and cooks all day in a slow cooker.
Then once the chicken is fully cooked and resting, the drippings are used to make a rich and delicious gravy.
As much as I love making a Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot or even an Oven Roasted Chicken, there are just some times that you need to eat within minutes of walking in the door. And this recipe allows you to do just that.
All you need to do is to prepare the chicken in the morning and put it in the slow cooker. Then when you get home later that day all you have to do is pull the chicken out and let it rest while you make the gravy.
However, if you are looking for a crock pot chicken breast recipe, and not a whole chicken, check out our Slow Cooker Zesty Chicken Breast recipe.
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken & Gravy
First, start off with a thawed, 4-5 lb. whole chicken. Remove any giblets from the inside cavity and pat dry. Set aside while you make the dry rub.
You can use any type of dry rub for this recipe. However, it is quite easy to make your own rub from some basic spices. Our favorite chicken rub recipe is listed in the recipe card below.
Once you have your rub ready to go, rub extra virgin olive oil all over the chicken. Then sprinkle the rub on the skin, and inside the cavity if you have enough left over.
Now place your onion halves and large chunks of carrot in the bottom of the slow cooker and gently pour the chicken broth over top.
Next, gently place your whole chicken, breast side up. inside the slow cooker, resting on top of the vegetables. It is okay if the chicken is slightly touching the surface in some areas.
Cook on Low for 7-8 hours, or on High for 4-5 hours. If you have a programmable CrockPot set the cook time and when it is up, your slow cooker will transition to the Keep Warm setting.
This feature is extremely helpful when you will be away from the house longer than the actual cook time. Be sure to check the internal temperature at the thickest section of the thigh. It is cooked through when the temperature reaches 165°F.
Remove the chicken to a rimmed baking sheet. If you like crispy skin, place the chicken under a broiler for a few minutes. Once the chicken is done cooking, let it rest for at least 10 minutes.
While the chicken rest, it is time to make the gravy.
Make The Gravy
Remove the onions and carrots from the slow cooker. In a separate bowl, whisk together the corn starch (or arrowroot powder) and water together until all clumps are gone.
Pour 2/3rds of the slurry into the liquid in the bottom of the slow cooker and heat on HIGH. Continue to whisk until the mixture begins to bubble and thicken to the desired consistency. However, if your slow cooker doesn’t heat quickly, you can also pour the liquid in a saucepan and heat on the stove.
Serve your Whole Chicken into desired cut sections and pour the gravy from the slow cooker on top. Serve with the cooked carrots and onions for a delicious and comforting meal!
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located on the side and bottom of each recipe. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 1 whole chicken, 4-5 lbs.
- 2 onions, sliced in half
- 2 large carrots, sliced in thick chunks
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch, or arrowroot powder
- 4 tablespoons water
- Combine all dry rub ingredients in a small bowl, set aside.
- Rub chicken with oil and rub seasoning on all sides of the chicken.
- Place the onion halves and carrots in the bottom of the slow cooker and pour in 1/2 cup of chicken broth.
- Place chicken on top of the vegetables, breast side up so it is slightly lifted off the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours or high 4-5 hours or until an internal thermometer reads 165 degrees at the thickest part of the thigh.
- Remove chicken and place on a small pan. If desired, broil 3-4 minutes to crisp skin. Rest 10 minutes before slicing.
- Remove carrots and onions from slow cooker and turn onto high. If needed, add additional broth to create about 2 cups of liquid.
- In a small bowl, combine 4 tablespoons cornstarch/arrowroot powder with 4 tablespoons water to create a slurry.
- Whisk about 2/3 of the slurry into the liquid mixture and cook on high. Depending on the amount of liquid you may need to add more of the cornstarch slurry to reach desired consistency. Let cook at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Taste and season with salt & pepper.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 90Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 479mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g