When I first heard the term Tater Tot Hot Dish I had no idea what it was. Although I had eaten this classic meal several times, we always called it Tater Tot Casserole.
However, I quickly found out that in Minnesota, they refer to this popular recipe as Hot Dish.
So what is the difference between a hot dish and a casserole. To the best of my knowledge, a hot dish must be prepared with certain ingredients.
It must contain a protein mixed with either a cream of something soup or a tomato base. Next, it must included a vegetable and a starch (ex. potatoes, tater tots). Finally, it must have a crispy topping with the option of cheese sprinkled on top.
On the contrary, a casserole recipe can be made with a combination of any ingredients, such as our Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole. And it can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Therefore, in summary, a hot dish is a casserole, but not all casseroles are hot dishes.
However, regardless of what you call it, Tater Tot Hot Dish or Casserole is a classic, family friendly meal.
Tater Tot Hot Dish
And best of all, it is very easy to prepare. It all starts with browning your ground beef and onions together.
Once the meat is no longer pink, drain and set aside. In a large bowl combine the sour cream, milk, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, 1/2 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, salt and pepper.
Then add the meat and onion mixture and the mixed vegetables to the cream sauce and mix well.
We like to use frozen mixed vegetables. However, you can choose to use any vegetables that you would like. For instance, many people will add only frozen peas or frozen green beans to their Tater Tot Hot Dish recipe.
And if you have fresh vegetables, you can use those as well.
Next, pour the mixture into a greased casserole dish and top with frozen tater tots. Then sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
Cover and bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the hot dish is bubbly and the tater tots are golden.
Check out the printable recipe below and let me know what you think!
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
Tater Tot Hot Dish Casserole
- 1 32 ounce bag Tater Tots
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cups mixed vegetables fresh or frozen
- 10.5 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef and onion until no pink remains. Drain.
- In a bowl mix together the soup, sour cream, milk, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, 1/2 cup of shredded cheese, and salt and pepper. Add in the cooked ground beef and mixed vegetables and mix well.
- Pour the beef and vegetable mixture evenly in the prepared casserole dish. Layer tater tots on top and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and cook for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- Serve immediately