Doritos Chicken Casserole is a quick, easy and delicious Mexican casserole dish made with layers of flavored shredded chicken, cheese and crushed Doritos.
It is a meal that gets requested a lot in our house and even the pickiest eater will ask for seconds.
But the best part of all is that it is easy to make! As long as you have precooked, shredded chicken, this recipe can be assembled in minutes.
Sunday Night Meal Prep
Every Sunday, we spend about an hour in the kitchen to plan and prepare for meals throughout the week.
I can’t tell you enough how much time this has saved us during the busy weeknights.
Not to mention how many calories that we probably have saved by not ordering take out or going through a fast food drive through.
Our go to recipe to meal prep is our Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken. It is a great way to make an entire chicken in a fraction of the time that it would take to bake in the oven.
Then we use the meat to make various meals throughout the week.
Two of our favorite weeknight casserole dishes include our Instant Pot Chicken Casserole and this Doritos Chicken Casserole recipe.
How to Make Doritos Chicken Casserole
But don’t worry if you don’t have any leftover shredded chicken. You can easily purchase a rotisserie chicken from just about any major grocery store.
However, if you had the time you could also cook chicken breasts or thighs right before assembling the Doritos Chicken Casserole.
The important part is to have 2 cups of cooked, shredded chicken available before you are ready to make this casserole.
Next, in a large bowl, mix the shredded chicken with 1 cup of cheese, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, Rotel tomatoes and the taco seasoning.
Do not drain the tomatoes. The extra liquid makes it easier to stir the ingredients together.
Next it is time to layer the ingredients of your casserole.
In a 2 quart baking dish, coarsely crush the Doritos and layer the pieces in the bottom. You want the Doritos to overlap so that you can not see the bottom of the dish.
Then add half of the chicken mixture on top of the Doritos. Repeat the process.
Top the last layer of the chicken filling with more crushed Doritos and the remaining cheese.
Bake in the oven until hot and bubbling. And dinner is ready!
Check out the printable recipe below and let me know what you think!
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located on the side and bottom of each recipe. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 10 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes
- 1/2 packet taco seasoning
- 1 large bag Doritos, coarsely crushed
- shredded lettuce, optional
- diced tomato, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 2 quart casserole dish.
- In a large bowl add the shredded chicken, 1 cup of cheese, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, Rotel tomatoes (undrained), and taco seasoning. Mix well.
- Add a layer of crushed Doritos across the bottom of the casserole dish until the bottom is covered.
- Add half of the chicken mixture on top of the crushed Doritos.
- Add another layer of crushed Doritos followed by the remainder of the chicken mixture.
- Top with semi-crushed Doritos and the remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes until bubbling hot.
- Remove from the oven and top with lettuce and tomato (optional).
Top with foil if you want your cheese just melted and not browned. Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g