If you are looking for a delicious meal with lots of flavor, then you have to try this Instant Pot Tuscan Chicken recipe.
Moist and delicious chicken in a creamy garlic sauce cooked with mushrooms, spinach and sun dried tomatoes. It doesn’t get much better than that!
However, like many of you, when I first purchased my Instant Pot 6 quart Duo, I wasn’t a fan of cooked chicken breasts.
The chicken was rather bland and sometimes, depending on the size, the chicken came out rubbery.
Although I preferred making Marinated Grilled Chicken, I knew that I needed to figure out a way to make chicken breasts in the Instant Pot as well.
So I began experimenting by adding various spices and ingredients to chicken breasts and cooking them in the Instant Pot.
Other Favorite Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
But I would have to say, one of my favorite recipes is this Instant Pot Tuscan Chicken Recipe.
In fact, I make it at least once a week. Sometimes I serve it as a main dish along with a side salad and garlic bread.
And other times, I serve it over a bed of pasta to make our family favorite, comfort meal.
Instant Pot Tuscan Chicken
So how do you make this delicious Instant Pot Tuscan Chicken?
Although it requires various steps, it is well worth it in the end!
Brown the chicken
First, start by sauteing your chicken breasts. The key here is to wait until the Instant Pot display reads HOT.
If you add your oil and chicken before the Saute mode is completely hot, your chicken will stick to the bottom of the pan.
Also be sure to use similar size chicken breasts. This will allow the chicken to cook evenly.
Saute garlic, mushroom and spices
Once the chicken has been browned, remove the pieces to a bowl and set aside.
Now is the time to add in the minced garlic. Then add in the mushrooms. And finally, add in the Italian Seasonings.
Saute each for a minute and then cancel the Saute mode.
Deglaze the pot
The most important step of this recipe is to DEGLAZE THE POT.
Simply add in the chicken stock mixture and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spatula.
Be sure to loosen all the brown bits that were stuck to the bottom. Otherwise you risk getting a BURN notice during the cooking process.
Cook the Tuscan Chicken
Now it is time to cook the chicken. And yes, it takes only 5 minutes of cooking time.
Of course, that does not include the time that it takes the Instant Pot to come to pressure.
With this recipe, the pot typically takes about 6-9 minutes to come to pressure in a 6 quart Instant Pot.
After the cooking time expires, wait 10 minutes before releasing any remaining pressure.
This allows the juices of the chicken and stock to absorb into the meat.
Making Tuscan Chicken Sauce
Now comes the fun part! It is time to make the Instant Pot Tuscan Chicken Sauce.
Remove the cooked chicken and add in the spinach and sun-dried tomatoes.
Once the spinach begins to wilt, stir in the cream and Parmesan cheese.
You will notice that the cheese will begin to thicken the sauce. However, if you like your sauce even thicker, add in a cornstarch or arrowroot slurry to the mixture.
However, be sure not to add the cornstarch or arrowroot powder directly into the hot liquid. It needs to be mixed with cold water before adding it to the pot.
Otherwise you will get lumps of powder throughout your Tuscan Chicken sauce.
Add the chicken back to the pot and you are ready to eat one of the best chicken recipes ever made!
Check out the printable recipe below and let me know what you think!
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram. This article may contain affiliate links.
Instant Pot Tuscan Chicken Recipe
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts, each approximately 6 ounces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 4 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or coconut aminos
- ¾ cup chicken stock low sodium
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup spinach
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
To Thicken Sauce
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- Pat the chicken dry and season one side with salt and pepper.
- Place the Instant Pot on Sauté mode. Once the display reads HOT add in the oil and immediately add in the chicken with the seasoning side down. Season the other side with salt and pepper.
- Brown for 3-4 minutes then flip the chicken over and brown for an additional 2-3 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
- While the pot is still on Sauté mode, add the minced garlic, and sauté for 30 seconds. Add sliced mushroom, and sauté for another minute.
- Add dried Italian seasoning, and sauté for another minute.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup mixt together the chicken stock and soy sauce. Pour the mixture in Instant Pot and deglaze the bottom of the pot by removing all the brown bits stuck on the bottom. Cancel the Sauté Function.
- Add the chicken and any juices that they released back into the pot.
- Lock the lid and place the valve in the Sealing position. Pressure Cook/Manual for 5 minutes. Once the cooking time expires allow for 10 minutes of Natural Pressure Release. Release any remaining pressure.
- Remove the chicken pieces and set them aside.
- Turn on the Sauté Function and add in spinach and sun-dried tomatoes, stir and cook for 1 minute. Mix in heavy cream and Parmesan cheese.
- Mix arrowroot/cornstarch powder and cold water together in a small bowl. Slowly add the mixture to thicken the sauce until desired thickness has been reached.
- Place chicken back in Instant Pot and mix in with the thickened sauce.
- Serve immediately.