This time of the year, one of our most requested Instant Pot recipes is our Low-Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup.
You get all the flavor of traditional Zuppa Toscana soup, without all the carbohydrates! Plus it is made in the fraction of the time because it is made in the Instant Pot!
A win-win situation for everyone!!!
As much as we love our Instant Pot Weight Loss Soup, when you eat this low-carb Zuppa soup, you feel like you are cheating on your diet, when you are not!
Instant Pot Low-Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup
So what makes this soup low-carb/Keto-friendly? The first step is to replace the potatoes with a low-carb substitute.
There are several options for substituting the potatoes in this recipe. However, we have found one option to be far superior than the rest.
The most common replacement is cauliflower. However, when you cook the cauliflower, it still looks and tastes a little like cauliflower.
The next option is to use radishes instead of potatoes. It may sound obscure to use bitter radishes, but honestly, the flavor of the radishes disappear when cooked.
It is a good option, however I find it easier, and more delicious to use another vegetable as a replacement.
Turnips! Yes, turnips make this Instant Pot Low-Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup taste just like the original version!
How to Make Low-Carb Zuppa Soup
So how do you make this delicious soup? Zuppa Toscana soup starts with bacon.
Press Saute on your Instant Pot. When it reads HOT, add in your diced, uncooked bacon.
Once it is cooked, remove the bacon and leave one tablespoon of grease in the pot.
Saute your onions and garlic and then add in your ground sausage. Cook the sausage until no longer pink and then hit the CANCEL button.
Add in the peeled and thinly sliced turnips, broth and seasoning. Pressure cook on HIGH for 3 minutes.
As a reminder, as with all Instant Pot recipes, the pot will need additional time to come to pressure.
Once the cook time is up, slowly turn the valve to venting to release the pressure.
Remove the lid and turn the pot on SAUTE mode. Add in the chopped kale and let it simmer for 4-5 minutes.
Turn the Instant Pot off. Once the liquid is no longer simmering, add in the heavy cream and stir.
Let the pot sit for 5 minutes before serving.
And there you have it! Low-carb Zuppa Toscana Soup made in minutes in the Instant Pot!
Check out the printable recipe below and let me know what you think!
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located on the side and bottom of each recipe. You can also follow us on Facebook, and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
Instant Pot Low-Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup
- 3 thick slices bacon diced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 1/2 pounds hot or mild Italian Sausage
- 2 large turnips peeled and sliced thinly in bite size pieces
- 6 cups chicken broth low sodium
- Kosher salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups finely chopped kale ribs removed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Set the Instant Pot to the SAUTE mode. Once the display reads HOT, add the bacon and cook until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon.
- Leave at least a tablespoon of bacon fat in the liner of the Instant Pot and add the diced onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and continue to saute for 1 additional minute.
- Add the ground sausage to the Instant Pot and brown the sausage, breaking it apart as it cooks. Once it is no longer pink, hit CANCEL.
- Then add the thin slices of turnips, chicken stock, red pepper flakes, salt, fresh-ground black pepper, and the cooked bacon back to the pot.
- Lock the lid and place the valve in the SEALING position. PRESSURE COOK/MANUAL on HIGH pressure for 3 minutes.
- Once the cook time expires, slowly QUICK RELEASE the pressure.
- Set the Instant Pot back to SAUTE. Once the soup begins to bubble add the chopped kale. Continue to simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Press Cancel and add in the heavy cream as soon as the mixture is no longer boiling and stir. Replace the lid and let the soup sit for 5 minutes before serving.