It is cookie making season, and one of our favorite cookies to bake are these Chocolate Peppermint Cookies.
Not only do they taste absolutely delicious, they look stunning on any cookie tray!
But the best part of all is that they are super easy to make! And who couldn’t use that right about now?
How To Make Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
So how do you make Chocolate Peppermint Cookies?
The base of the cookie is very similar to a chocolate chip cookie recipe. However, there are a few slight variations.
First, you must add cocoa powder to your dry ingredient mixture. This is the obvious addition needed to make these cookies become chocolate cookies.
Next, instead of just adding vanilla extract, we are also adding a little peppermint extract to the cookie dough mixture as well.
However, don’t panic if you can’t find peppermint extract in the grocery store. You can always substitute more vanilla extract for peppermint extract if needed.
Then when you have your dough ready and made, it is time to add the chocolate chips.
However, these aren’t the traditional semi-sweet chocolate chips. You want to add in peppermint flavored white-chocolate chips when making Chocolate Peppermint Cookies.
Once the chips have been added, it is time to put them in the oven to bake.
Decorating The Cookies
After you take the cookies out of the oven, let them cool completely.
When you are ready to decorate the chocolate peppermint cookies, melt your white chocolate coating chips.
Melt them at slow intervals in the microwave or use a double broiler.
Then dip half of the cookie into the melted chocolate and then place each cookie on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Finally, sprinkle bits of crushed peppermint candies on top of the white chocolate coating.
But be sure to let the chocolate harden completely before storing.
Now there you have it – Chocolate Peppermint Cookies! Another fantastic cookie recipe to add to your collection.
If you are looking for other cookie recipes, check out our Snickerdoodles and Christmas Cut Out Cookies Recipes.
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located in the middle of each recipe or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Delicious chocolate cookies that are filled with peppermint chocolate chips and half of it dipped in white chocolate and sprinkled with crushed peppermint candies.
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 cups ‘peppermint’ chocolate chips
- 16 oz. white chocolate coating chips
- 1/4 cup finely crushed peppermint bits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt until well incorporated.
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachement, or with a hand mixer, cream together butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until well combined.
- Mix in eggs one at a time. Then blend in vanilla extract and peppermint extract.
- With mixer set on low, slowly add in the flour mixture and peppermint chips and mix just until combined.
- Scoop dough out by a rounded tablespoon and shape into balls.
- Place dough balls on the prepared cookie sheet about 2-inches apart. Flatten cookies slightly with the back of a spoon or in the palm of your hand.
- Bake for about 8 minutes, or until the center looks slightly firm.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 3-4 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cookies are cool, melt white chocolate in a microwave safe bowl on 50% power in 30 second increments, stirring between intervals until melted and smooth.
- Dip half of each cookie in white chocolate then transfer to the parchment paper lined baking sheet and sprinkle with peppermint bits. Chill to let chocolate set about 10 minutes.
Store cookies in an airtight container.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g