One of the most popular desserts that is served around the holidays is pumpkin pie. And although you could order one from your favorite bakery, it is super easy to make your own.
Nothing fancy, no crazy ingredients, just a simple, but delicious pie that is cooked in a light and flaky, golden crust.
And beyond popular belief, you don’t have to make a homemade crust to make the perfect pie. Refrigerated pie crusts have come a long way and are not only delicious, but are a huge time saver as well.
So this year, when you are planning to make dessert for Thanksgiving, Christmas or your next family or friends gathering, be sure to save this easy recipe that everyone is sure to love!
CLASSIC PUMPKIN PIE RECIPE
- Refrigerated Rolled Pie Crust or Homemade Pie Crust
- Canned or Fresh Pumpkin Puree, NOT Pumpkin Pie Filling
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Light Brown Sugar
The first step is to preheat the oven and prepare the pie plate. Roll out pie crust so that it is 2 inches wider in diameter than your pie plate.
Carefully roll the pie crust around a rolling pin that has been generously floured to prevent sticking. Then carefully lay it on top and in the center of the pie plate.
Gently press the crust into the dish, being sure that there are no air pockets where the side and bottom of the dish meet.
Leave about 1/4 inch edge around the top of the crust and cut off and discard the excess. Then scallop the edges by placing your thumb of one hand on the inside edge of the top of the crust, and using your other hands to pinch the dough around your thumb. Repeat this process around the entire top edge of the pumpkin pie crust.
Now poke the bottom surface of the crust with a fork several times to make vent holes. Then place a piece of parchment paper over the bottom and sides of the crust.
Blind Bake The Crust
Add pie weights or dried beans on top of the parchment paper, just enough to cover the bottom of the crust. Then place in a preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or just until the pie crust edges begin to turn to very light brown in color.
Remove the crust from the oven and set aside to prepare the filling.
Although most standard pumpkin pie recipes do not require you to pre-bake the crust, it is crucial that you do so. Otherwise the bottom of the crust will be soggy when you serve the pie.
However, if you are in a hurry and there is no time to pre-bake the crust, feel free to skip this process. Although be sure to form the crust as instructed and do not prick the bottom with the fork.
This will help prevent the pie filling from seeping through the holes and burning on the bottom of the pie plate.
Prepare The Filling
In a large bowl add the pumpkin puree and sweetened condensed milk and mix until combined.
Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth. Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust.
Place the pie plate on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Then place the pan in the oven and immediately reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and bake for an additional 40-50 minutes
Cover the pie crust edges with foil or a pie shield if it they begin to brown too quickly. The pie is done when the center of the pie jiggles no more than the circumference of a dime in the center.
You can also test the doneness of the pumpkin pie by inserting a knife near the center of the pie. If it comes out mostly clean then the pie is done. However, this method of checking doneness will leave a crack in the center of your pie (which can be hidden later with a thick layer of whipped topping).
Turn off the heat and prop open the door of the oven. Allow the pumpkin pie to cool in the oven for 20 minutes.
Then remove the baking sheet and pie from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
Other Favorite Holiday Dessert Recipes
- Old Fashioned Apple Pie
- Pecan Pie
- Homemade Cherry Pie
- Pumpkin Stuffed Brownies
- Caramel Apple Pie Bars
- Apple Pie Dump Cake
- Strawberry Pretzel Dessert Squares
- No Bake Snickers Cheesecake
- Instant Pot Cherry Cheesecake
- Instant Pot Oreo Cheesecake
And for all of my favorite dessert recipes, be sure to visit my Dessert Recipe Page located under the Recipe tab at the top of this article.
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located on the side and bottom of each recipe. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 15oz. can pumpkin puree or fresh pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling
- 14 oz can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Roll out pie crust and place in a pie pan. Poke the bottom with a fork several times and scallop the edges or crimp with your fingers.
- Bake the pie crust for 10-15 minutes or until the crust just begins to turn light brown in color. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the pumpkin puree and sweetened condensed milk and mix until combined. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and bake for an additional 40-50 minutes Cover the pie crust edges with foil or pie crust shield if it browns too quickly.
- The pie is done when the center slightly jiggles less than a dime in circumference or a knife inserted near the center comes out fairly clean. Turn off the oven heat, open the oven door and let the pie cool for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool completely.
Let cool completely. Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g