This Instant Pot Sweet Potato Casserole is a recipe that is made start to finish in the Instant Pot itself.
There is no transferring the mixture to a casserole dish to finish it off in the oven. In fact, the only dish that you need is the liner of your Instant Pot!
And that is a huge bonus when oven space is at a premium during the holidays!
Cooking The Sweet Potatoes
The first step in making Sweet Potato Casserole is to cook the sweet potatoes.
And although the sweet potatoes would cook faster by peeling and cutting them in small pieces, we prefer to cook the potatoes whole.
In the time that it takes to peel the potatoes and to cut them in small pieces, you can have the potatoes already cooking in the pressure cooker.
Simply wash your potatoes and poke them with a sharp knife. Then add liquid to the liner and place your potatoes on the trivet.
However, if the potatoes are too large to fit, simply cut them in half and stack them on top of each other.
Then pressure cook on HIGH pressure for 20 minutes for large potatoes. However, the cooking time could be less if you have smaller potatoes. I would suggest starting smaller sweet potatoes at 15 minutes as the base for the cooking time.
Once the cooking time expires, allow the pot naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes. Then release any remaining pressure and carefully remove the lid.
What you will find inside are fully cooked sweet potatoes with skins that are literally falling off.
Carefully remove the potatoes to a cutting board and peel and discard the skins.
Instant Pot Sweet Potato Casserole
Now that your sweet potatoes are cooked, it is time to make the Sweet Potato Casserole.
First, empty the water out of the liner of the Instant Pot. Then add your peeled potatoes back inside the pot.
The potatoes should be soft enough that a potato masher is not necessary.
However, if your potatoes are still a little firm in the center, feel free to use a potato masher instead of a spoon to mix in the ingredients.
With the pot on the Keep Warm setting, add the remaining ingredients and stir.
Finally, top your Instant Pot Sweet Potato Casserole with the prepared brown sugar and pecan topping.
Replace the lid and keep warm until ready to serve!
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located in the middle of each recipe or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 3-4 medium-large sweet potatoes, washed
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pecan pieces, finely diced
- Place the trivet and 1 cup of water in the liner of the Instant Pot. Place sweet potatoes on top of the trivet. Close and lock the lid. Cook at high pressure for 20 minutes. Allow for the potatoes to Natural Pressure Release for 10 minutes.
- While you are waiting for the Instant Pot to Naturally Release, prepare the topping by combining all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Once the sweet potatoes are ready, carefully remove them to a cutting board and peel off the skin and discard. Then dump out any liquid in the Instant Pot and remove the trivet.
- With the pot still on the Keep Warm Setting, return the sweet potatoes to the liner and stir in butter, brown sugar, vanilla, salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- Place the topping directly on top of the sweet potato mixture. Close the lid and continue with the Keep Warm setting.
- Serve directly out of the liner.
If you want to serve it in a baking dish, scoop out the sweet potato mixture and then top with the pecan topping after it is in the serving dish. Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g