There is no better time to make a Pumpkin Roll than now!
The entire month of October is dedicated to everything pumpkin. It actually starts in early September when Starbucks reveals it’s newest version of their pumpkin latte.
But when October hits, the pumpkin patches open and pumpkin recipes pop up everywhere.
Although we love to make Instant Pot Pumpkin Cheesecake, we also love to make Homemade Pumpkin Rolls too.
In fact, it has become a family tradition. The second weekend in October we make our homemade Pumpkin Puree from pie pumpkins that we gather at the pumpkin patch.
Then we use the puree to make several pumpkin rolls. We will slice the first one and eat it right away.
However, the others are wrapped in foil and placed in an air-tight container in the freezer.
We then are able to pull one out whenever we need a sweet treat. And we also use them around the holidays as a sweet addition to our buffet table or as a hostess gift for a party.
How To Make A Pumpkin Roll
The process of making pumpkin rolls requires a few different steps.
First, you must mix the ingredients and bake the cake layer. However, be sure to use parchment paper on your rimmed baking sheet for easy removal.
Then, while the cake is in the oven, mix the ingredients together for the filling and set aside.
Once the cake has baked through, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
Then lay out a tea towel on a clean surface and sprinkle with powdered sugar. A tea towel is the key to success for making this recipe .
Carefully flip the cake layer onto the tea towel and slowly remove the parchment paper.
Then, using the tea towel as the outside layer, carefully roll the warm cake and tea towel starting from the short end.
Allow the cake to cool completely in the rolled position. Leaving the cake to cool in this position allows the pumpkin roll to not break when rolled again after the icing has been spread on top.
After the cake has completely cooled, carefully unroll the cake and tea towel. Then spread the icing on top, within 1/2 inch of the edges.
Next lift the cake away from the tea towel and roll again.
Now your pumpkin roll is ready to slice and eat!
Check out the printable recipe below and let me know what you think!
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
Homemade Pumpkin Roll Recipe
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Tea towel
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2/3 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 8 oz. block cream cheese room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar plus more for sprinkling
- 2 tbsp. butter softened
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- In a large mixing bowl, add the sugar, baking soda, flour, pumpkin puree, eggs and cinnamon and mix until well incorporated. Set aside.
- Place a piece of parchment paper over a rimmed baking sheet or jelly roll pan. Spray the parchment paper with non-stick cooking spray on the surface and up the sides, making sure to cover the whole surface area.
- Pour the cake batter mixture into the pan and spread evenly. Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the cake is baking, add the ingredients for the filling to a mixing bowl and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Place a tea towel on a clean surface. Open the towel and sprinkle powdered sugar onto the surface and set aside.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it sit for 3 minutes. Loosen the edges and carefully flip the pan on top of the tea towel, so that the cake is now laying with the parchment paper facing upward.
- Carefully peel back the parchment paper from the warm cake. Starting at the short end, roll the cake and tea towel until the other end has been reached.
- Let the cake cool in the rolled position for 15-20 minutes.
- Carefully unroll the cake. Using a frosting knife, spread the filling on top of the cake. Continue to spread until filling is about an inch from the edges of the cake.
- Lift the edge of the cake away from the tea towel and re-roll the cake and filling to make your pumpkin roll.
- Let cool completely.
- Slice into ½ inch width slices to serve.