Barbecue Cheeseburger Casserole – An Easy Weeknight Meal
This recipe is so simple, yet everyone loves it! It takes all of the familiar ingredients of a barbecue cheeseburger and transitions it into a family friendly casserole dish.
I love making casseroles because they are so versatile. They make a great addition to any pot-luck and they are a life saver on a busy weeknight.
Just throw the ingredients in the pan and bake. Best part of all, you can adapt each recipe to your families preference.
For instance, this barbecue cheeseburger casserole calls for green bell peppers. If your family doesn’t like peppers, you can omit it all together or substitute another ingredient.
And don’t be afraid to make simple additions….
How about adding some bacon to this cheeseburger casserole? Everything’s better with bacon!
Or just like when we make our Big Mac Cheeseburger Casserole, how about adding lettuce and tomato to the dish when served? The choices are endless!
The topping for the cheeseburger casserole uses a standard baking mix. You can use any ‘Bisquick’ variety, including gluten free mixes. You can even make your own baking mix.
As for the cheese, I prefer freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese. If you like to spice things up, add shredded pepper jack cheese.
The possibilities with this recipe are endless!
For another quick, weeknight meal check out our Taco Casserole Recipe.
Check out the recipe below and all of our recipes and let me know what you think!
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped medium onion
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup baking mix
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F
- Using non-stick cooking spray, spray a bottom and sides of an 8 or 9-inch square baking dish, set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add beef, bell pepper and onion, and cook until beef is brown. Drain off grease.
- Place ground beef mixture in the prepared baking dish and stir in the barbecue sauce.
- Cover the top with 3/4 cup of the cheese.
- In medium bowl, stir baking mix, milk and eggs together until blended. Pour evenly over beef mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 cup cheese and bake 5 minutes longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Serve with barbecue or hot sauce. Gluten Free version - use gluten free baking mix and barbecue sauce Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g