When I learned that I could make Chicken Mini sandwiches in my Air Fryer, you thought I would have hit the lottery!
I absolutely love the tiny little breakfast sandwiches from Chick-fil-A. But unfortunately, we don’t live anywhere near one of their restaurants.
And whenever we are traveling and pass one along the interstate, it always seems to be on a Sunday when they are closed.
So when I was experimenting with making homemade chicken nuggets in the air fryer, it occurred to me that I could expand that recipe to possibly make my favorite breakfast sandwich.
After much time, effort, and lots of re-do’s, I finally have come up with the perfect mixture of ingredients that tastes just like these famous chicken sandwiches!
Air Fryer Chicken Mini Sandwiches
If you have done any research on how to make copycat Chick-fil-A sandwiches, most will tell you that they brine their raw chicken in pickle juice.
Although there is some controversy on whether this is true or not, the pickle brine will help the chicken remain extremely moist after it is cooked.
That is because pickle juice is naturally salty. So when the raw chicken pieces sit in the brine for a period of time, the salt begins to break down the rough muscle fibers.
Therefore, when cooked, the meat ends up tender and juicy. So the first step in this Air Fryer Chicken Mini sandwich recipe is to prepare the chicken to soak in a homemade brine.
First, cut the chicken breast in one inch square pieces and set aside.
Then in a large resealable plastic bag, add the egg, milk and pickle juice. Squeeze the bag until the mixture is well combined.
Now add the cut chicken to the brine and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. While you are waiting, prepare the breading ingredients.
In another large resealable plastic bag, add the dry ingredients. Close the bag and shake to combine.
When the chicken has spent enough time in the brine, it is time to start preparing your Air Fryer for the Chicken Mini pieces. Preheat the Air Fryer at 370°F and line the basket or tray with parchment paper.
We most often use our Power 360 Air Fryer, but any air fryer will work for this recipe.
*If you don’t have parchment paper, generously spray the bottom of the basket with olive oil so that the nuggets don’t stick to the bottom.
Working in batches, remove the chicken pieces from the bag. Let the liquid drain off each piece of chicken for a few seconds. Place several pieces of the chicken in the breading bag and shake vigorously until well coated.
Place the coated chicken on a wire rack and coat the remaining pieces.
Now line the bottom of the basket with the breaded chicken pieces.However, be sure to leave enough room between the pieces so that they can evenly cook.
Spray the tops and sides of the chicken mini pieces with olive oil before going in the air fryer. Be sure to cover every exposed bit of the coating so that it can crisp when being cooked.
Air Fry for 9 minutes. While you are waiting, prepare the honey butter mixture and set aside.
When the original cook time is up., carefully turn the pieces over and coat the remaining side with the oil. Continue to cook until the chicken is nice and golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Pull the chicken out of the air fryer and repeat with the remaining pieces.
Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the air fryer chicken mini pieces with the honey butter mixture. Then place each piece between a dinner roll and coat the top of the bread as well.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
You can use any rolls or biscuits that you have on hand for this recipe. However, we have found that the Rhodes frozen dough rolls replicate the taste of the Chicken Mini’s the best.
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located in the middle of each recipe or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup pickle juice
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 TBSP. butter, melted
- Cut the chicken breast in 1 inch cubes.
- In a large resealable bag or large plastic container, whisk together the egg, milk and pickle juice. Add chicken to the marinade and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, and up to 4 hours.
- In another large resealable bag, add the breading ingredients and shake to mix.
- Working in batches, remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and place inside the bag with the dry ingredients. Shake to coat the chicken and remove to a wire rack. Repeat until all of the chicken has been coated.
- Preheat Air Fryer to 370°F. Line the basket or tray with parchment paper.
- Place the chicken pieces in the basket, making sure there is enough room for air to circulate between the pieces. Coat the tops and sides with olive oil spray. Be sure to coat all visible areas.
- Air Fry for 9 minutes, then turn the chicken over and coat the other side with olive oil spray. Continue to Air Fry until the chicken is golden brown and cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Remove the chicken from the air fryer and repeat with any remaining pieces.
- Cut your dinner rolls in half so that you have a top and bottom piece. Depending on the size of your rolls, you may need to cut them in half to make two rolls.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the chicken pieces with the honey butter mixture. Place each chicken mini piece in between a roll and brush the top of the bun with the honey butter mixture.
- Serve immediately
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 84Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 230mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 5g