This Whiskey Bacon Cheeseburger recipe has become all the rage recently. In fact, I have been asked to make this over and over again by everyone who has tried one.
Even those individuals who were skeptical because they don’t like the taste of whiskey and those who already love my Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger recipe are hooked after taking their first bite.
So what makes this burger so special? I am confident that it is because of the whiskey bacon sauce.
This sweet and smoky sauce is filled with bacon pieces and then piled on top of a quarter pound cheeseburger. And for many people it doesn’t get much better than bacon, beef and whiskey!
Although, just because it calls for whiskey as one of the ingredients, it is still safe for eating by all. That is because the alcohol cooks off and all you are left with is the deep smoky flavor that pairs perfectly with bacon.
Whiskey Bacon Cheeseburger Recipe
Salt and Pepper
The first step in making a Whiskey Bacon Cheeseburger is to brown the bacon. Start by cutting the bacon in small strips.
You can do this with a pair of sharp kitchen shears or a sharp knife. Then place the bacon pieces in a skillet and cook over medium heat until just crispy.
Use a spider strainer or a slotted spatula to remove the bacon from the skillet, keeping the grease in the pan.
Place the cooked bacon in a bowl. There is no need to place the bacon on paper towels to drain.
Next, place the diced onions in the same skillet that was used to cook the bacon, leaving the bacon grease in the pan.
Cook the onions over medium heat for about 5 minutes. You want the onions to break down and become translucent.
Then add the brown sugar to the skillet, stir and cook for another 2 minutes.
Add The Whiskey
Now it is time to add the remaining ingredients. When you add the whiskey you will notice that the activity in the pan just got a little more energy.
You may see vigorous boiling and foamy bubbles as the whiskey begins to cook off. Continue to let this mixture cook down for about 2-3 minutes.
Then reduce the heat to low and stir the bacon back to the skillet. Keep the Whiskey Bacon Cheeseburger topping warm while you grill the burgers.
MAKE THE BURGERS
Although you could purchase pre-made hamburger patties, it is easy to make your own.
Start by dividing the ground beef into 4 equal sections. Then form each section into a hamburger patty.
The trick here is to not handle the meat too much. Simply form it into a large circle while gently squeezing it so that it holds together.
Then make a thumbprint indention in the center of each burger so that when it cooks it will be even with the outer edge of the burger.
Season each side with salt and pepper to taste and then place your burgers on a preheated grill that is approximately 450°F.
Grill for about 3-4 minutes on one side and then flip each burger and continue to cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until done per your preference.
Place the burgers away from the heat and add a piece of cheese to the top of each one and close the lid so that the cheese can melt.
Place the cheeseburgers on the bottom bun and top with the whiskey bacon sauce.
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located on the side and bottom of each recipe. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 8 strips bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 ounce whiskey (approximately 1/2 shot)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp black pepper
- FOR THE BURGER
- 1 lb. ground beef (80/20 preferred)
- 4 slices cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Place the bacon pieces in a skillet and cook over medium heat until just crispy. Remove the bacon from the skillet but leave the grease in the pan.
- in the same skillet, add the diced onions and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar to the skillet and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add whiskey, Worcestershire sauce, and black pepper. Let this cook down for about 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add the bacon back to the skillet. Keep the mixture warm while the burgers are cooking.
- Divide the ground beef into 4 equal sections and form a hamburger patty, being sure to make a thumbprint indention in the center of each burger. Season each side with salt and pepper.
- Place your burgers on the grill that is heated to approximately 450°F and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Flip each burger and continue to cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until done per your preference.
- Place the burgers away from the heat and add a piece of cheese to the top of each burger and close the lid so that the cheese can melt.
- Place burgers on burns and top with the whiskey sauce.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 773Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 182mgSodium: 1473mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 0gSugar: 23gProtein: 54g
Nutritional Information is to be used as a general guideline only . Nutritional calculations will vary from the types and brands of the products used.