This slow cooker sausage and potato casserole is a great dinner recipe that the entire family will love! Cheesy potatoes and sausage cooked to perfection in a slow cooker and ready when you walk in the door!
It is one of those meals that takes only minutes to prepare and comes in handy when your time is needed elsewhere.
No standing over a hot stove waiting for the potatoes to boil. And no standing over a hot skillet with grease spattering out towards you while you brown the sausage.
Simply throw everything in the slow cooker, and dinner is ready whenever you are! And best of all, this recipe calls for just 7 common ingredients.
And that means no crazy trips to the grocery store to pick up that one spice or one ingredient that you hope is stocked at the local market.
This recipe has been such a huge hit in our house that we have made it several times for dinner. It also makes a great addition to any potluck, holiday gathering, or a gifted meal to a family member or friend.
Slow Cooker Sausage & Potato Casserole
The first step in this recipe is to spray your slow cooker with non-stick spray. If you like to use the slow cooker liner bags, you could use that instead.
Next, cut your sausage into bite size pieces, approximately in 1 inch sections. You can use any type of sausage that you like.
This time we chose to make it using Chicken Sausage. However, we have also made it with Kielbasa, hot Italian, and turkey sausage and they have all turned out fantastic!
Once you have the sausage cut, place it in the slow cooker. Then add the potatoes, diced onions, and two cups of the shredded cheese. Stir to combine.
Now in a small bowl, combine your cream of chicken soup, sour cream and milk. Then pour it in the slow cooker over top of the potato and sausage mixture.
Stir until well combined and the potatoes and sausage are coated. Before adding the lid, sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
Cook on Low for 6 hours or High for 3-4 hours. However, just a word of caution. You don’t want to overcook this recipe. Otherwise the potatoes will lose their texture and become more like mashed potatoes.
Although, this has happened to me before, and the sausage and potato casserole is still delicious after spending some extra time in the slow cooker!
Some of our other favorite Casserole Recipes
- Barbecue Cheeseburger Casserole
- Big Mac Cheeseburger Casserole
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Taco Casserole
- Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located on the side and bottom of each recipe. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 1 - 32 oz. bag hash browns, cubed
- 14 oz. kielbasa, cut into small pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Spray the inside of the slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Add the hash browns, kielbasa, onion, and 2 cups of the cheese to the slow cooker and mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine cream of chicken, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper.
- Pour over hash brown mix and mix until incorporated.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over top.
- Cook on LOW for 6 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours. It is done when your potatoes and onions have cooked through. *Do not overcook, or the hash browns will begin to fall apart.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 801Total Fat: 53gSaturated Fat: 21gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 3508mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 29g