My absolute favorite thing to order at our local Japanese steakhouse is Hibachi Chicken. I love the flavor of the chicken and vegetables cooked over the hot grill. And of course, the yum-yum sauce is a must have!
I first went to a Japanese steakhouse for a friend’s birthday. I was highly impressed with the chef’s skills.
At first, the twirling of the sharp knives made me quite nervous. When I found out that they did these tricks several times per day, I was able to relax and enjoy the show.
We were shown flaming onion towers and eggs that rolled on the hot griddle and cut in half with one quick slice of a knife.
The chef was able to toss chunks of rice into his shirt pocket and in a few mouths of hungry spectators.
I have to admit, I didn’t catch the first one tossed to me. However, I didn’t give up. I was tossed two more, and finally caught the third one.
When the table applauded, I took a quick, seated bow and we were then finally able to move on with the performance and more importantly my Hibachi chicken dinner.
Hibachi Chicken At Home….
Although I thoroughly enjoy the lengthy performance while dinner is made in front of me, there are times that I just want the meal.
I know you can order Hibachi chicken in the standard restaurant portion of a Japanese steakhouse. But to be honest, there are sometimes I just want to eat it in the comfort of my own home.
That is when I began experimenting with different ingredients until I finally found a combination that tasted just like it did in the restaurant.
Hibachi Chicken Ingredients
Skinless boneless thin sliced chicken breasts
Less sodium soy sauce
Salt & Pepper
I make Hibachi chicken or steak with the exact same ingredients. The key is to slice your meat thinly so they cook quickly without drying out.
Then in a large skillet or griddle over medium high heat add the olive oil, butter and soy sauce to the skillet. Next add the chicken and salt and pepper to taste and sauté stirring often.
When the meat is cooked through remove it from the pan and cover. Then in the same skillet add more butter and soy sauce. Once the butter has melted add the onions, zucchini, broccoli and salt and pepper to taste.
Continue to cook until the vegetables are fork tender, about 7 to 8 minutes. Then add the mushrooms and chicken back into the skillet with the vegetables.
Add a little more butter and soy sauce to the pan and cook until the mushrooms are tender and chicken is heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste and toss with lemon juice before serving.
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located on the side and bottom of each recipe. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 4 skinless boneless thin sliced chicken breasts
- 1 white onion, medium
- 1 zucchini, large
- 1 8 ounce package sliced mushrooms
- 1 head of broccoli, small
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons less sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt, to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Slice the meat and vegetables into bite size pieces.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat add 1 Tbsp olive oil.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter and add 1 Tbsp soy sauce to the skillet and the chicken and salt and pepper to taste and sauté stirring often. When cooked through, set aside and cover.
- In the same skillet add 1 Tbsp. butter, 2 Tbsp. soy sauce, onions, zucchini, broccoli and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until fork tender, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms and chicken back into the skillet with the vegetables.
- Add an additional Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp soy sauce and cook until the mushrooms are tender and chicken is heated through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and toss with lemon juice before serving.
Serve with steamed or fried rice and Yum-Yum sauce.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 213Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 1107mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 13g
Nutritional Information is to be used as a general guideline only . Nutritional calculations will vary from the types and brands of the products used.