Every winter our Air Fryer Fish and Chips recipe takes the spotlight. It seems like everyone is wanting to make comfort food or they are wanting a great recipe to make during Lent.
Whatever the reason that you are looking for this recipe, you are going to be amazed at how good it turns out! Although during the summer months my favorite fish recipe is Air Fryer Salmon, this recipe is one that we make most often in the winter.
Cut pieces of cod dredged in a light and crispy breading and cooked in the air fryer. Then it is served with cooked French fries, which I also make in this magical appliance!
What Type of Fish To Use
Although many parts of the country make homemade fish and chips using Haddock, we have chosen to use cod for our recipe. Basically, that is because we don’t have access to wild caught Haddock where we live.
However, it is easy to find wild caught cod in our area. Although the choice is really up to you! You just want to make sure you use a mild, white fish that doesn’t have strong residual fish flavor when cooked.
Whatever type of fish you choose just remember this recipe not only tastes great but the entire meal is made without turning on the oven or stove!
Of course we do cheat a little bit because we use store-bought frozen French fries. However, if you are totally motivated to make everything from scratch, you could make Homemade Air Fryer French Fries as well!
But in an effort to keep things simple, we will provide the instructions on how to make this recipe using frozen French fries instead.
Beer Batter vs. Breaded Fish
As much as we love traditional Beer Battered Fish and Chips, it is much more difficult to make this type of fish in an Air Fryer. The batter will run down into the bottom of the air fryer and you will end up with basically ‘grilled fish’.
This not only causes a mess, the fish will have barely enough batter on the surface to crisp up.
Although you can do a reverse dredge where you dip the fish filets in batter and then in flour, I find that using the triple dredging station found in this recipe provides for better and more consistent results.
Air Fryer Fish and Chips
Frozen French fries
Cod fillet, cut into strips
Tartar sauce and lemon wedges
Preheat the air fryer at 400°F (200°C) and spray the basket with olive oil spray.
Then add the frozen French fries to the basket and cook for 22 minutes, shaking 1-2 times during the cooking process.
While the fries are cooking in the air fryer, prepare your fish. First, in a small bowl mix the flour with the paprika, garlic powder and salt.
Then add a beaten egg in another shallow bowl and the panko breadcrumbs in a third shallow bowl.
Pat the fish dry using a paper towel. Then dredge the fish in the flour mixture, then dip it in the beaten egg.
Finally place the egg drenched fish in the Panko breadcrumbs, pressing down lightly until the crumbs stick. Be sure to spray both sides with olive oil.
Once the fries are cooked remove them from the air fryer and set aside in a paper towel lined, shallow bowl. Then place the breaded cod in the hot basket and air fry for 10-12 minutes, turning half way through the cooking process.
The actual cooking time will depend on the thickness of your filets and the brand of your air fryer. Continue to cook until the fish is light and flaky and the exterior is golden brown in color.
Remove fish from the air fryer and place the fries back into the basket. While the fish rests, heat the fries until warm. Then serve immediately with tartar sauce and lemon wedges if desired.
Enjoy your Air Fryer Fish and Chips!
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located on the side and bottom of each recipe. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
Check out the printable recipe below and let me know what you think!
- 1 bag of frozen french fries
- 1 pound cod fillet, cut into strips
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Large egg, beaten
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Tartar sauce for serving
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Preheat air fryer at 400°F (200°C). Spray basket with olive oil spray. Add frozen Fries to the basket and cook for 22 minutes, shaking 1-2 times during the cooking process. Remove and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour with the paprika, garlic powder and salt. Place the beaten egg in another bowl and the panko breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- Pat the fish dry using a paper towel. Dredge the fish in the flour mixture, then the egg and finally the panko breadcrumbs, pressing down lightly until the crumbs stick. Spray all sides with olive oil.
- When the French fries are cooked, remove them to a paper towel lined bowl and set aside. Place the breaded cod in the hot basket and air fry for 10 to 12 minutes, turning halfway through until crispy and lightly golden. *Actual cooking time will depend on the thickness of the fish filets and the brand of your air fryer. The fish is cooked through when it flakes easily with a fork.
- Remove fish from the air fryer and let rest while you reheat the French fries for 3-5 minutes in the hot air fryer.
- Serve with tartar sauce and lemon wedges if desired.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 435Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 109mgSodium: 692mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 37g
Nutritional Information is to be used as a general guideline only . Nutritional calculations will vary from the types and brands of the products used.