Keto Meatballs In Marinara Sauce is a comforting classic dish that can be enjoyed whenever you like! Traditional meatballs transitioned into a low-carb recipe that are delicious and easy to make!
For those who aren’t familiar with the ketogenic diet it has been around for years. First invented in the 1930’s by Dr. Russell Wilder of the Mayo Clinic, a keto diet, also known as a ketogenic diet, is distinguished by a diet deficient in carbohydrate intake.
Weight loss is now the primary benefit of why people choose to eat a diet low in carbs. However, as always, before switching to a Keto diet, be sure to seek medical advice to make sure that this type of diet is right for you.
However, you can always enjoy this recipe whether you are on a diet or not! In fact this recipe is a favorite amoung both adults and children.
You can stick to your low-carb diet and eat the just the meatballs. Then for the rest of the family the meatballs can be served over spaghetti noodles for a meal that everyone can enjoy at the dinner table. After all, who has time to prepare two meals?
Keto Marinara Meatballs
- Almond flour
- Italian seasoning
- Ground beef
- Pork sausage
- Salt and black ground pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
Marinara Sauce Ingredients
- Tomato passata*
- Fresh basil, optional
- Garlic cloves, minced
- Onion, finely diced
Optional Garnish Ingredients
- Parmesan cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley
*Tomato Passata is different from conventional pasta sauce in that it is just pureed tomatoes without the skins or seeds. Unlike other tomato pastes or pasta sauces, tomato passata is uncooked and has no additives. It can typically be found in the tomato aisle in a glass jar rather than in a can.
However, if you are unable to find it at the grocery store, you can substitute a Low Carb Tomato or Marinara Sauce in place of the Tomato Passata to make your Keto meatballs.
1. Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven or large skillet.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, Italian seasoning, beef, sausage, egg, salt & pepper just until well mixed. Just like when making Meatloaf do not over work the mixture.
3. Using a medium scoop, make meatballs by rolling the mixture in between the palm of your hands. The size of the meatballs is up to you. The medium scoop will make meatballs that are approximately the size of ping pong balls.
Then place the meatballs in the hot skillet with the oil for 8-10 minutes, turning one to two times to brown all sides.
4. As soon as the meatballs are cooked, take them out of the pan and set them aside.
5. Cook the onions in the same skillet used for the meatballs until they are softened, approximately 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
6. Once the onions have turned soft and translucent, add the minced garlic and tomato passata. If desired, you can add diced fresh basil as well. Heat the sauce for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Once the marinara sauce is heated and warmed through add the cooked meatballs to the pan and coat them with the sauce. Continue to heat for 2-3 minutes or until the meatballs are warmed through.
8. Sprinkle a little parmesan cheese and parsley to the top of your keto meatballs and serve with the warm marinara sauce.
9. The meatballs can be served alone as a main course or be served over zucchini noodles to keep things low-carb. And for those who aren’t following a Keto diet, serve over a bed of spaghetti pasta or with mashed potatoes.
Meatballs will keep well in the fridge. Any leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days in an air-tight container.
Do you want to prepare this dish ahead of time? Combine the ingredients in a mixing bowl, shape the meatballs, and store them in a sealed container in the freezer rather than the refrigerator. They will stay good for up to 3 months if stored in an air-tight container.
However, before cooking the frozen meatballs, allow them to thaw before cooking.
Possible Ingredient Substitutions
The Keto meatballs can be made with only beef or only pork. However it is best to use a combination of the two types of meat.
- Make sure your beef and sausage have a higher fat percentage for this recipe. Choose pork sausages that do not contain added sweeteners or fillers, or go for plain ground pork.
- The meatballs in marinara sauce are usually cooked in a large Dutch oven, but you can also cook them in a large frying pan or skillet instead.
- Sautéing your vegetables in the same skillet as your meatballs enriches them with more flavor.
- In order to get a thicker sauce, place the Dutch oven or an oven safe skillet in the oven at 300°F for 10 minutes.
Why I Love This Recipe:
- Preparation takes approximately 30 minutes
- 20 grams of protein per serving
- One-pot meal
Frequently Asked Questions?
How many Keto meatballs does this recipe make?
My meatballs were about two tablespoons of the meatball mixture, so I got 38 of them.
2. Is it possible to make them ahead?
Yes, make the meatballs ahead of time and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, fresh or cooked. Or you can freeze them in an air-tight container for up to two months. However, before you go to cook them or heat them up, be sure to thaw them first.
3. How do I store leftovers?
The meatballs in marinara sauce will keep well in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
4. Is it possible to make them only with ground beef?
If you want to use only ground beef to make these meatballs, use a high fat mixture. If you use a lean mixture, such as 90/10 they will be very dry in texture. However, the ground beef and ground pork mixture makes the best meatballs.
How do tomatoes fit into the Keto diet?
The number of tomatoes you consume can affect how your body responds to a keto diet. Therefore, limiting your tomato and tomato based products are crucial to maintain a keto diet.
Can I make Keto meatballs without eggs?
Even though the meatballs may be a little more crumbly, the meatballs will still be delicious. So if you can’t eat eggs, or don’t have any on hand, you can skip them in this recipe.
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located in the middle of each recipe or email me at email@example.com. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- One teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 lb. pork sausage
- One egg
- Pepper and salt to taste
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
Marinara Sauce Ingredients
- 24 oz tomato passata*
- Fresh basil optional
- Three cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 onion minced
- Heat the oil to medium-high in a Dutch oven or skillet.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the sausage, egg, beef, almond flour, and seasoning whilst oil heated.
- Make big meatballs out of this mixture, about 1-2 Tablespoons apiece (according to your liking) - Our meatballs were approximately the size of ping pong balls - Heat for 8-10 minutes in a skillet, turning once if necessary.
- As soon as the meatballs are cooked, take them out of the pan and set them aside.
- Cook the onions in the same skillet used for the meatballs for a few minutes, turning them back and forth with your spatula.
- After 1 minute, add garlic and tomato passata. If desired, you can add fresh basil.
- Make sure the meatballs are warm and thoroughly coated in the sauce before adding them back into the pan with your marinara sauce. (About two minutes)
- Add a little parmesan cheese and parsley to the top of your keto meatballs and serve with marinara sauce.
- The dish can be served over zoodles, salad, basil or eaten as a main course.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals