Instant Pot Irish Beef Stew is a terrific comfort meal that can be served any time of the year! This recipe has become our go to comfort meal and a must have on St. Patrick’s Day!
When I visited Ireland I noticed that Irish stew was served at every restaurant. From the casual lunch time joint to the popular 5 star restaurants, it was sure to be the highlight of the menu.
Traditional Irish stew is typically served with lamb meat. They cook it for hours upon hours to achieve the right blend of flavors and until the meat literally falls apart.
Once I returned home, I knew that I wanted to replicate the same taste in my own kitchen.
But because lamb meat isn’t as readily available, I decided that I would create the same type of dish using beef. And because I don’t readily have hours upon hours to tend to a pot on the stove, I knew it was time to make Instant Pot Irish Beef Stew!
This is one of the many reasons that I absolutely love my Instant Pot. You can take dishes that take forever to cook and make them in minutes! And they still taste like they have cooked all day!
Tips for Making Instant Pot Irish Beef Stew
I use standard stew beef tips that can be found at the local grocery or from the butcher. No need to buy a fancy roast and cut it down, the work is already done for you.
For an additional depth of flavor, I had a few slices of thick bacon. Irish bacon is more like Canadian bacon versus American bacon. It is cut from the back and served in round slices.
I don’t have access to Irish bacon here, so I used thick cut bacon slices instead.
After your cook your bacon and saute your vegetables, be sure to use the liquid to deglaze the bottom of your pan. This help the pot come to pressure without any difficulty.
Speaking of liquid….of course, in a traditional Irish dish, the liquid of choice is Guinness beer! I take it one step further and add a little red wine as well.
Not only does it give the Instant Pot Irish Beef Stew a beautiful deep color, it adds another depth of flavor. Outstanding!!!
For another delicious Beef Recipe, try our Instant Pot Beef Burgundy.
Check out the recipe below and all of our recipes and let me know what you think!
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list.
- 3 bacon slices, thick cut
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 ribs of celery, sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp pepper, freshly ground
- 3/4 cup Guinness beer
- 1/2 cup red wine, optional
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 lb beef cut for stew
- 3 medium russet potatoes, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 3 Tbsp warm water
- Turn Instant Pot on the sauté function.
- Cut bacon into small bits and brown lightly on the sauté function, stirring frequently.
- Add in the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, ground pepper and beer. Deglaze bottom of pot until it is clear. Continue to sauté for 3-5 minutes, stirring often.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the red wine, stock, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste. Add the wine mixture to the pot, along with the beef, potatoes, thyme, parsley, bay leaf, and salt. Stir until combined.
- Close the Instant Pot and set it to sealing position. Pressure cook/manual on high pressure for 20 minutes. Once the time expires allow a 10 minute natural pressure release. Finish with a quick release.
- In a small bowl whisk together the cornstarch/arrowroot powder with the warm water until completely combined to make a slurry.
- Place the pot on sauté and stir the slurry into the stew and heat until desired thickness is achieved (2-4 minutes).
Serve immediately. Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g