I love how quick and easy it is to make Instant Pot Bangers and Mash! And best of all, a complete dinner will be on your table in just 15 minutes!
I started making traditional Bangers and Mash many years ago. Our family absolutely loves mashed potatoes and adding the sausage as the main dish was an easy decision.
Then we decided to kick it up a notch by making an onion gravy to go along with the dish.
However, since I purchased my Instant Pot 6 quart Duo, I decided to give this recipe a try using the pressure cooker method.
And after a few trials, I have finally perfected the recipe! And best of all, it is all cooked in the Instant Pot at the same time!
Instant Pot Bangers and Mash
In order to make sure everything cooks at the same time, we start off using pre-cooked sausages. Due to dietary restrictions, we use chicken sausage instead of pork. However, the choice is up to you.
Start by placing your Instant Pot on the Saute mode. Once the display reads HOT, add your oil. Brown the sausages and then remove them from the pot and set aside.
In the remaining oil, saute the sliced onions for 3-4 minutes. Then add the broth and deglaze the pot by scraping the bottom with a wooden spatula.
Next add the sausages on top of the onions. Then place a steamer basket on top of the sausages.
We prefer to use a collapsible steamer basket, but you can also use a colander basket as well.
Add your peeled and diced potatoes to the basket and mince the garlic on top.
Lock the lid in place and turn the valve to the SEALING position. Pressure Cook/Manual on HIGH for 5 minutes.
Once the cook time is up, manually release the pressure. Then remove the steamer basket and place the potatoes in a bowl.
Add the sour cream to the potatoes and mash with a potato masher, adding a little milk if needed.
Then remove the sausages and place on a plate. Next, turn the Instant Pot on the SAUTE mode and add a cornstarch or arrowroot slurry to thicken the onion gravy.
Once the Instant Pot Bangers and Mash gravy is at the desired thickness, press Cancel.
To serve, place the potatoes and sausages on a plate and pour the onion gravy on top.
Check out the printable recipe below and let me know what you think!
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located on the side and bottom of each recipe. You can also follow us on Facebook, and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
Instant Pot Bangers and Mash
- 4 pre-cooked sausages
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 6 Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2 cubes
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- milk as needed
- cornstarch or arrowroot slurry to thicken onion gravy
- Turn the Instant Pot on Saute mode. Once the display reads HOT, add the oil and brown the sausages. Once browned remove them to a plate and set aside.
- Add the sliced onions to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes, then add broth and deglaze the bottom of the pot.
- Return the sausages to the Instant Pot and place the steamer basket on top of the sausage onion mixture. Add the potatoes to the steamer basket and mince the garlic on top of the potatoes.
- Lock the lid in place and move the valve to SEALING. Pressure Cook/Manual on HIGH pressure for 5 minutes. When the cook time is up manually release the pressure.
- Remove the potatoes to a large bowl and add the sour cream. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes adding additional milk if needed.
- Remove the sausages to a plate and set aside. Turn Instant Pot on SAUTE mode. Add the cornstarch or arrowroot slurry to the onions and saute until desired thickness has been reached.
- To serve place the potatoes and sausage on a plate and spoon the onion gravy on top.