There is just something about a hot dog with coney sauce spread on top of it that screams summertime.
Every year, when we head to the ballpark to watch a baseball game, the first thing that I crave is a hot dog wrapped in foil. It is an All-American treat and tradition that most people are familiar with.
Although, it is even better when it is topped with coney sauce, diced onions and mustard.
However, because I haven’t been to a ballpark in a long time, I decided I would satisfy my craving and make them at home.
So I decided to adapt my standard chili recipe and sloppy joe recipe to come up with the perfect homemade coney sauce mixture!
Coney Sauce Recipe
You can make this recipe the traditional way, in a pot on the stove. Or you could use an electric pressure cooker to make this coney sauce in half of the time.
The instructions for both methods are included in the printable recipe card below. Although I would have to say, I enjoy making this in my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo because I can even steam my hot dogs in the same pot!
Less clean up, especially in the middle of the summer, is worth a lot in my opinion!
Stove Top Method
Start making the coney sauce by cooking the beef, onion, and celery in skillet over medium heat until the meat is brown. Then drain the mixture and return it back to the skillet.
Stir in the remaining ingredients and then bring the mixture to a boil.
Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
Instant Pot Instructions
Place Instant Pot on sauté mode until the front display reads HOT. Add in hamburger, onions and celery and cook until the meat is brown.
When the meat is no longer pink, turn off the Instant Pot and drain the meat.
Return the coney sauce meat mixture back into the pot and then stir in the remaining ingredients. Lock the lid in place and move the valve to the sealed position. Then push Manual/Pressure and cook on HIGH pressure for 5 minutes.
After the cook time is up, quick release the pressure by moving the valve to venting. When the pin drops carefully open the lid and then stir the mixture. If a thicker consistency is desired place the pot on sauté and let the mixture thicken.
Option: After you release the pressure, add a trivet to the pot and place the hot dogs on top. Replace the lid and in the sealed position steam the hot dogs for 1 minute. Quick release the pressure once the cooking time ends.
Other Creative Ways To Use Coney Sauce
- Coney Sauce Nachos
- Baked Potato topping
- Mix with cheese and melt to make Nacho Chip Dip
- Top French fries with sauce and cheese
- Add to meatloaf mixture or hamburger patties
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located on the side and bottom of each recipe. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1 can tomato sauce, 8 ounces
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2-1/4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is brown. Drain mixture and return back to the skillet.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Place Instant Pot on sauté mode until the front display reads HOT. Add in hamburger, onions and celery and cook until the meat is brown.
- Turn off Instant Pot and drain the meat.
- Return meat mixture back into the pot and stir in the remaining. Place lid on in the locked and sealed position. Pressure cook on high for 5 minutes.
- Quick release pressure and stir. If a thicker consistency is desired place pot on sauté and let mixture thicken.
- Option: After you release the pressure, add a trivet to the pot and place the hot dogs on top. Replace the lid and in the sealed position steam the hot dogs for 1 minute. Quick release the pressure.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g