There is nothing better than having an easy dinner recipe that is on the table in less than 15 minutes, and that is exactly why I love this Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas recipe!
It first starts with thin slices of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, bell peppers, and onions that are tossed in a homemade fajita seasoning mix.
Then they are cooked in an air fryer basket or oven and within 10 minutes, dinner is ready!
The best part of all is that this recipe is so versatile. Stick with the traditional serving with tortilla shells and top it with sour cream, guacamole and cilantro.
Or keep it low-carb and keto friendly by serving it over a bed of lettuce, cauliflower rice, or eat it as a stand alone main dish. The choices are endless!
Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- Chicken breasts
- Bell peppers
- Olive oil
- Chili powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Cayenne optional
- Lime juice
- Tortilla Shells
- Sour Cream
The first step in making air fryer chicken fajitas is to slice the chicken breasts into thin, 1/4-1/2 inch strips. Plan on using 1 chicken breast to make two servings.
Then slice your bell peppers and onions into thin strips as well. I like to use both a green pepper and red pepper, to add another layer of flavor to this recipe.
However, you can use all green pepper, or all sweet bell peppers. Whatever you have on hand or whatever you prefer will work
Once you have the chicken and vegetables sliced, Pre-heat the air fryer for 3 minutes at 400°F. Go ahead and do this even if your air fryer brand doesn’t typically require you to preheat before cooking.
The heat of the air fryer basket will help produce that familiar sizzle when the chicken and vegetables get added.
While the air fryer is heating add the chicken strips, sliced green and red bell peppers, onion and olive oil to a large bowl. Then using tongs, toss until they are evenly coated in the oil.
Homemade Fajita Seasoning
In a small bowl make your own homemade chicken fajita seasoning mix. Do this by adding the salt, sugar, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper (if using). Whisk until well incorporated.
If you don’t want to make your own fajita seasoning, you can definitely use a store bought packet instead.
Add the seasoning to the chicken mixture and toss until the chicken and vegetables are evenly coated.
Then add the chicken and vegetables in a single layer in the air fryer basket. It is okay if the chicken and vegetables are touching, but you don’t want them to overlap significantly.
Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to work in batches. I used my 6.5 quart Ninja Foodi Pressure Cooker/Air Crisper combo and I made two batches.
Air Fry for 5 minutes, then flip and separate the chicken if they have begun to stick together. If using an air fryer oven with multiple trays, such as the Power 360 Air Fryer, rotate the trays after the initial 5 minutes of cook time.
Continue to cook for an additional 3-5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F.
Using tongs, remove the chicken and vegetables to a tray and squeeze the juice from 1/2 of a lime on top. Toss and serve with optional serving and topping ingredients.
Serving and Topping Suggestions
- tortilla shells, corn or flour
- sour cream
- pico de gallo
- homemade guacamole
- cilantro lime rice
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located in the middle of each recipe or email me at email@example.com. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 2 large chicken breasts sliced into ¼ inch thick strips
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into long strips
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into long strips
- 1 onion, sliced into long strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch of cayenne pepper, optional
- ½ lime
- tortilla shells, flour or corn
- sour cream
- Pre-heat air fryer to 400°F or 200°C for 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl add the chicken strips, sliced green and red bell peppers, onion and olive oil. Toss until evenly coated.
- In a small bowl add salt, sugar, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper (if using). Whisk until well incorporated. Add the seasoning to the chicken mixture and toss until chicken and vegetables are evenly coated.
- Add the chicken and vegetables in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to work in batches. Air Fry for 5 minutes, then flip and separate the chicken if they have begun to stick together. If using an air fryer oven with multiple trays, rotate the trays after the initial 5 minutes of cook time.
- Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F (71°C).
- Using tongs, remove the chicken and vegetables to a tray and squeeze the juice from 1/2 of a lime on top. Toss and serve with optional serving ingredients.
If you don't have smoked paprika, use sweet paprika or Hungarian paprika instead.
Meal prep suggestion - place the chicken and vegetables with the oil and seasoning in the refrigerator in the morning and when you get home all that is required is that you cook the mixture in the air fryer.
For a quick short cut, use a package of Fajita seasoning instead of the spices listed in the ingredients.
Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 384Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 606mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 26g
Nutritional Information is to be used as a general guideline only . Nutritional calculations will vary from the types and brands of the products used.